preps
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: coils on mobile antennas

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog-Unit777 View Post
    Booty Monster, how does somebody come up with a gain factor on an antenna?
    depends on who that somebody is ..........
    for similar designs , the larger the gain claim difference the more likely there are errors , location/terrain skewing as well as manipulation/lies are not uncommon either .....

heres what Sirio uses .

http://www.gain-master.it/technologies.php

"SIRIO has made comparisons with the best antenna on the market, with the aid of sophisticated equipment such as:
    - Electromagnetic computer simulations carried out with *CST Studio Suite 2008.

- Far-field signal analysis with portable Spectrum Analyzer FSL-6 *Rohde & Schwarz.

- S-parameters analysis in time and frequency domains with 8753ES Vector Network Analyzer and E5071B *Agilent Technologies.

- RF power tests with directional sensor NRT-Z14 (25MHz-1GHz) *Rohde & Schwarz.

- Coil thermal image with *TESTO 880-3.

- Data collection from instrumentation and post-analysis with software developed by Sirio with LabView2009* National Instruments.

- Materials and components tested at extremes temperature with Vötsch climatic chamber VC4018 Vötsch Industrietechnik.

just a little bit more technical than walking around with a meter and relying on radio S-meters with who knows what effecting their antennas .
    Last edited by BOOTY MONSTER; 07-28-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    depends on who that somebody is ..........
    for similar designs , the larger the gain claim difference the more likely there are errors , location/terrain skewing as well as manipulation/lies are not uncommon either .....

heres what Sirio uses .

http://www.gain-master.it/technologies.php

"SIRIO has made comparisons with the best antenna on the market, with the aid of sophisticated equipment such as:
    - Electromagnetic computer simulations carried out with *CST Studio Suite 2008.

- Far-field signal analysis with portable Spectrum Analyzer FSL-6 *Rohde & Schwarz.

- S-parameters analysis in time and frequency domains with 8753ES Vector Network Analyzer and E5071B *Agilent Technologies.

- RF power tests with directional sensor NRT-Z14 (25MHz-1GHz) *Rohde & Schwarz.

- Coil thermal image with *TESTO 880-3.

- Data collection from instrumentation and post-analysis with software developed by Sirio with LabView2009* National Instruments.

- Materials and components tested at extremes temperature with Vötsch climatic chamber VC4018 Vötsch Industrietechnik.

just a little bit more technical than walking around with a meter and relying on radio S-meters with who knows what effecting their antennas .
    also its the same snake oil used by sirio in their advertizing claims to fool the buffoons that copy and paste their theories .
    as if they did utilize all of the above into every single antenna , there wouldnt be any other manufacturers in existence and everyone would own a sirio
    and the home brewers would still be left out in the cold
    as the "HOMEDEPOT" doesnt offer the test equipment that are described in the above post!

also i may add , the trusty old field streangth meter that has been around for nearly 70 years or so , that also the space programs , navy and other services have used with numerous great results !

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.5150cbrn View Post
    also i may add , the trusty old field streangth meter that has been around for nearly 70 years or so...
    Mr.5150 you hit the nail on the head! In the end no matter what is being said or done the field strength meter, when used correctly gives a pretty good picture.
    Last edited by Bulldog-Unit777; 07-28-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Kickin' it Old School in Central Maine!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the FSM doesn't commpensate for effects from the field (or the person holding it) ..... it's just another indicator .... but not definitive .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

hotrod (08-13-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would think if it could be on a tripod or by some other means that would not influence readings.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    how far do you think you have to be away from it to not cause any effects from your body ? and the tripod doesn't account for surrounding effects . and i know you're bright enough to not use a metal tripod BD .

it's simply a indicator , like a check engine light . it tells you something is going on ...... but it doesn't tell you how or why . better than nothing though "when used correctly " as you said BD

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog-Unit777 View Post
    An antenna that is designed for so many fequencies and presents good SWR through that span is labeled: broadbanded, widebanded or ultrabanded. From what I understand in doing so the gain in these designs are a lot lower vs say a narrowbanded antenna just for 26.965-27.405 MHz. True or false? Plus some folks I believe are messing around with their mobile set up just for lower SWR, saying broadbanded but actually detuning, lowering gain but...SWR looks good, huh.
    correct!!!

with 2 antennas, 2 hot or bounceback the fools who tune for minimal swr are loosing gain
    by BOOTYMONSTER » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:07 pm
    how about an option to delete a thread we make ?
    ill admit im at least a part time idiot . sometimes i do double post when editing a post .
    some may find this hard to believe , but ....... sometimes i even get pissed and make a post i regret later . hard to believe huh?? lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to coolbreeze For This Useful Post:

High Voltage Mobile NJ (07-28-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the best way to use a field strength meter is to have it sitting on a non conductive material say 100ft in front of a mobile. for a base you would have to go much further away.

you can also use micro amp meter and hook it to your s meter leads in a radio. you can see changes in signal in small amounts that a meter in the face wont show you. digital is obviously the better choice.

also when companys post gains of their antennas, its at the standard they developed or use. There is no industry standard so all is tested equally. So any manufactures specifications are about as useless as booty says using a s meter on someones radio 30 miles away is.
    by BOOTYMONSTER » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:07 pm
    how about an option to delete a thread we make ?
    ill admit im at least a part time idiot . sometimes i do double post when editing a post .
    some may find this hard to believe , but ....... sometimes i even get pissed and make a post i regret later . hard to believe huh?? lol

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coolbreeze For This Useful Post:

Bulldog-Unit777 (07-28-2012), High Voltage Mobile NJ (07-28-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK Coolbreeze I have been guilty of using my Cobra 2000 at the receive station, using a video camera, and go out in the mobile to a fixed spot. Do an antenna swap and make my own choices what antenna to run. I know that is not the best method and admit to that but so far based on experience of usage it has been a good indicator for me. In the end it is all about being heard. It is unfortunate that, not all radios have poor receive thus taking more power to make a trip. Sometimes your lower powered radios have better receive than higher powered radios. Most folks of knowledge will lean towards low powered radio with amp makes a good set up. Some folks say getting out is actually harder these days than in the past. Every now and I like to brush up on this topic of mobile antenna, thanks.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    nothing wrong with using what you got to get the best results you can . but insisting that everyone everywhere will have the same results is miss-leading .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

Bulldog-Unit777 (07-29-2012)

Visitors found this page by searching for

coil calculator

dominator 1011 meter antenna

rohde-schwarz nrt

high signal mobile antenna coil

dipole antenna cst

http:www.gain-master.ittechnicaldata.php

Terrybuilt 55 antenna

homemade base loaded antennas

antenna and coil calculator