preps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need one of these?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do I need one of these?

Hello guys,sorry I haven't been around much lately.Last week I was sick with double pneumonia.I had to be rushed out of my home in an ambulance and then brought down to Boston to Mass General for a week.but all is well now.that is just how things go.i have somewhat shitty health at times and the meds i take sometimes cause other issues.i am very much used to it.

anyways,about a month or two i bought a lot from eBay that included two semi-working police scanners and one non-working.along with three or four SWR meters.one which i will keep for myself and the others i am going to list and re-sell on eBay.

in this lot was a Midland "Antenna Matcher".i am slowly setting up a base station at home.i have the antenna up in the tree but i have to have someone come out and maybe put it up higher in this particular tree,or up higher in a taller tree.then i have the lightning supression to do and then send my 2000GTL out for tuning.then i still have to buy coax.so yeah,it's slow going.

do i need an antenna matcher?or should i sell it.also,what do i do with it if i should keep it?where does it hook up in line with a radio/swr meter/antenna/amp(small amp under 200watts peak).

thanks for any help/info.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    and also,i have been thinking that i need to save up for LMR 400 coax.i have been thinking-where i don't plan on running more than a couple hundred watts for the forseeable future,should i just go with a good coax and not hold out for the LMR 400.the reason i ask is because the LMR 400 is twice what i could afford right now.if i went with a good coax,i could be up and running within a week.if i hold out for the LMR 400 i don't know when i'll be able to be up and running and i am tired of waiting and don't believe i truly need that kind of coax just yet.i think a good rg-58? would do the trick for now.it's not like i am running more than 200watts right now so how much signal is there for me to lose?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How many feet of coax are you looking for?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    no more than a few hundred watts rg-8 will do fine
    for abit more get rg-213 good for a kw or better
    always remember the key to getting out lies in your antenna system

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    How many feet of coax are you looking for?
    at least 100 if i go with the tree that the antenna is in now.that tree only gets my antenna up about 35ft to 45ft off the ground though.i may need as much as 135ft. of coax which is probably close to what i need rather than 100ft.

if i can afford to have the antenna guy come out and climb the antenna up a tree,then i would prefer to put it in a tree closer to my room which would get my up at least 65 to 85 maybe even more,ft. up off of the ground.in that case then 100ft would be all i would need at the most unless he got me to the top of the tree but i don't see that happening.

i'd love to eventually go with a tower but because my sister and i both own the house,she wouldnt go for a tower in the yard.she's fine with it being in a tree but no towers.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    oh yeah,do i need this antenna matcher thing or can i go ahead and list it and sell it on eBay with other items i sell?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I looked and i only have a couple 60ft pieces andrews 240 laying around.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    a antenna matcher only fools your radio into "seeing" a better match .the mismatch would still be there .i say sell it .

unless you want to go out of cb band alot you really wont need it .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    nah,i do have extra upper and lower channels but have no plans on utilizing them much at all since the normal 40 plus ssb are not much used in my area since not that many people are on the CB much anymore.i do want to hit skip during the day but won't venture outside of the normal 40 plus the ssb.

so it sounds like it's somewhat of a waste to have and use the antenna matcher so up for sale it is.ought to bring me an extra ten or so buckaroos.thanks for the info JD!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the only real need of a antenna matcher
    would be if your antenna was real narrow banded , or if you were using a long wire /loop antenna
    also would be good for using in a situation where earth grounding use is too far like 2nd story or above buildings etc
    or as JD stated out of band use

Visitors found this page by searching for