preps
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rod of WHO???

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Beercanman View Post
    I would think it's a lot heavier though, a lot more maintenance too keeping the oxidation off. They should use that for key down trophies, that would look awesome. Real nice work noisemaker.
    thanks dude. yeah, i shined it up and she was all pretty. I have it in my house and just where my fingerprints were has already turned. The owner of this beast will need a fresh tube of metal polish and rag handy at all times. And yes- its heavy as hell! 15 lbs to be exact.. need a man-hole cover as a backing plate.. lol I wish we has some damn conditions so i can try it out!

noizybuilt.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to noisemaker For This Useful Post:

Beercanman (07-31-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    any idea why the ears are so much better on it vs. other antennas you have compared it too ?
    Booty- im going to make a solid aluminum version of this and see what jives.. lol ill post results
    Also looking into some other metals out there to see whats does what.

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow doughboy On Twitter Add doughboy on Facebook
    Visit doughboy's Youtube Channel
    Yea i suppose your right about that from a machining standpoint i meant more from a whacking a tree standpoint i know if i smack my 55s on a tree it will dent pretty easy a 3/4" copper water pipe would normally take a little more whacking but yea definitely heavier and like you said depends on the aluminum

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Vinegar and salt. Something else that a person has to keep in mind..... I live in a salt water environment.... And if I do get called back offshore... This will be one of the antennas that I take out on the water with me on the barge. When wind is blowing the spud barge around.... (We leave it with on spud down and one up so it can turn into the wind and waves so waves hitting it from sides are minimized) But when wind is variable and tides are slack... talking on a beam can be a challenge due to one minute the barge may be pointing north... then next minute may be pointing south... and some of the places that I have been called out to work at. You have no land to keep your bearing straight during noon... and using stars can work at night. But you have to be able to spot a constellation quickly and know where you are at.... Which can be challenging out on the waters.... due to how many stars you can see do to no city lights to block your vision...... Now I will let ya figure out why being solid is better for me than hollow.... Give you a clue....

Now as far as cleaning it..... you are better off letting it to tarnish....... it will prevent the slight corrosion... It gives it more of a protective film... About the only time I would clean it would be at a break.... Chrome don't drive ya home... It is how it performs..... But if you are going to clean it...... Vinegar and salt.......

6. The Following User Says Thank You to skyhawktexas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Careful, with the price of scrap a crackhead may run away with it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aardvark For This Useful Post:

@2zero6nj (12-31-2012), Birdy (07-31-2012), skyhawktexas (08-01-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hahahaha! Thats what everyone has been saying from the start. Scrap metal baby! Haha!

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by noisemaker View Post
    Booty- im going to make a solid aluminum version of this and see what jives.. lol ill post results
    Also looking into some other metals out there to see whats does what.
    sounds like a plan

and then anodize it in gold
    or gold leaf it :X

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On a more serious note though I remember reading that stainless steel has 51 or 53x the resistance to current flow than copper. It was an article about radio antennae on WWII planes. SS wire was chosen because it holds up better to the stresses of flight (ice, wind,vibration, etc...), kinda like a 102" whip? Since the antenna is thousands of feet in the air that kind of loss isn't isn't much of a factor. Hell you could most likely transmit on a paperclip at 15,000' and be heard loud and proud.

Another interesting fact is that all oxides of copper are conductive as opposed to aluminum oxides which are resistive, so cleaning a copper antenna isn't critical to its performance. But it shines up nice. Perhaps buff it then coat it in lacquer? It is an insulator but a thin coating shouldn't affect performance too much.

Given the above 2 facts its no wonder that Noisy can near better on that vertical crackhead copper mine!

I saw another poster talk about silver, because of the skin effect if that antenna were to be electroplated it would be a sharp looking performer!

Copper also has more current carrying capacity for given diameter. But given the diameter I think the center insulator would give out before you reached the limits of the antenna.

Lastly a silver plated hollow version would be the best of both worlds, watch out for trees though.

That's just my two cents.

Crackhead jokes aside its an impressive piece of work.
    Last edited by Aardvark; 08-01-2012 at 02:01 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aardvark For This Useful Post:

skyhawktexas (08-01-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by noisemaker View Post
    The NoizyBuilt SOLID COPPER "Stripper Pole".
    14lbs of Lip Chopping Awesomeness!
    She's almost done. Hope to have it talking by the weekend.
    Attachment 430
    Nice piece there Noisy. A lot nicer looking that that copper pile of shit Eagle Eye tried building a couple of years ago LOL!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ha! Thanks man. Ill be taking some pro pics of it before it leaves for its new home. The pic above was still at the machine shop and wasnt even together yet.

noizybuilt.com

Visitors found this page by searching for

homemade .64 wave wire antenna

skullcracka schematiclmr 600 swr on cblmr 600 coax on predator 10k mobilelmr 600 running 32 pill cb radiofatboy rod of god antennaLmr 600 coax ran an 8 pill ampns2.nubbyswasteland.com 546-The-Rod-of-WHOmr coily dominatorbounce back reflector isolatedlmr 600 lenght on predator cb antenna