preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulldog's Galaxy DX 959 "American Spirit" Custom Mobile Set Up!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bulldog's Galaxy DX 959 "American Spirit" Custom Mobile Set Up!

Well in time I sort of had a vision on how this set up should look. To start off is a custom Galaxy DX 959. This radio was built by Custom CB Radios. Its main feature is the 2290 power mod which gives the radio 150 watts peak. Variable power gives me the ability to dead key 1-15 watts. The diamond plated aluminum covers came from Redman CB Stop. These covers are beautiful! The Astatic 636L-SE is not exactly what it is. Inside is all the electronic components of the Road Devil! Very stealthy and functional. Below the radio is a customized cover to fill in the open space and most of the mounting hardware. Actually made of corrugated cardboard and a gray towel from Walmart. Used Gorilla tape and high temperature hot melt glue to shape, strengthen, and finish it. The stars came frim the sewing section at Walmart. Black and chrome split tubing to group wires. Not seen is the high tech custom heat shield cover which is used when radio is off and vehicle is parked. Using Belden RG-8 with silver plated teflon PL-259 connectors. Not seen here is the 9' Predator Freedom DX-K Mobile Antenna Fighting Stick. I always admired folks customizing their stuff. In the end it is all about how you what it and how it represents you.

Bulldog Vision - 2290 mod represents the power of America! Diamond covers represents the strength & gleem of America! Custom microphone represents the stealthy attitude of America! Predator Freedom DX-K antenna represents the vast reach of America!

Before I Started!

Kickin' it Old School in Central Maine!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Stay away from the light"........."Don't go near the light"....................

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow doughboy On Twitter Add doughboy on Facebook
    Visit doughboy's Youtube Channel
    As always bulldog it looks great

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You set your stuff up right both base and mobile.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My newest custom mobile antenna fighting stick! NoizyBuilt "Special OPS" (Special Operations) has a 1"x54-1/4" lightweight aluminum tube with welded top and bottom fixtures, tuned with a whip length of 64-1/4" and topped off with a Gunny Corona Ball tip! Overall tuned length on my truck is 118.5" and setting pretty on my custom extruded angle aluminum mount just below the bedrail.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog-Unit777 View Post
    My newest custom mobile antenna fighting stick! NoizyBuilt "Special OPS" (Special Operations) has a 1"x54-1/4" lightweight aluminum tube with welded top and bottom fixtures, tuned with a whip length of 64-1/4" and topped off with a Gunny Corona Ball tip! Overall tuned length on my truck is 118.5" and setting pretty on my custom extruded angle aluminum mount just below the bedrail.

I must be missing something...But that looks just like your freedom Predator antenna...Even with the same Gunny Corona Ball tip!

Just wondering...What "Special Operations" is it good for?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog-Unit777 View Post
    Well in time I sort of had a vision on how this set up should look. To start off is a custom Galaxy DX 959. This radio was built by Custom CB Radios. Its main feature is the 2290 power mod which gives the radio 150 watts peak. Variable power gives me the ability to dead key 1-15 watts. The diamond plated aluminum covers came from Redman CB Stop. These covers are beautiful! The Astatic 636L-SE is not exactly what it is. Inside is all the electronic components of the Road Devil! Very stealthy and functional. Below the radio is a customized cover to fill in the open space and most of the mounting hardware. Actually made of corrugated cardboard and a gray towel from Walmart. Used Gorilla tape and high temperature hot melt glue to shape, strengthen, and finish it. The stars came frim the sewing section at Walmart. Black and chrome split tubing to group wires. Not seen is the high tech custom heat shield cover which is used when radio is off and vehicle is parked. Using Belden RG-8 with silver plated teflon PL-259 connectors. Not seen here is the 9' Predator Freedom DX-K Mobile Antenna Fighting Stick. I always admired folks customizing their stuff. In the end it is all about how you what it and how it represents you.

Bulldog Vision - 2290 mod represents the power of America! Diamond covers represents the strength & gleem of America! Custom microphone represents the stealthy attitude of America! Predator Freedom DX-K antenna represents the vast reach of America!

Before I Started!
    I love the radio setup, nice job! Did you fab that cover for your radio? The sad thing is I've been a welder / fabricator since I got out of high school in 1994... I have never thought about doing that. 2 thumbs up!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought the covers from Redman CB Stop. He has the chrome and the gold ones too.

Diamond Plate Chrome Covers - http://redmancb.com/diamond-plate-radio-covers-chrome/
    Diamond Plate Chrome Bracket & Knobs - http://redmancb.com/diamond-plate-bracket-kit-chrome/

Diamond Plate Gold Covers - http://redmancb.com/diamond-plate-radio-covers-gold/
    Diamond Plate Gold Bracket & Knobs - http://redmancb.com/diamond-plate-bracket-kit-gold/

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Still..."What is the difference between that antenna extension, and the one you bought from Kale, and was pushing as the Freedom Antenna???"

What problem did you run into with Kales, to warrant you needing to replace it less than a year later?

I mean, I'm looking at the two, and they look to me almost identical...Maybe different lengths by a inch or so, but I see no reason one would work better than the other, unless there's a defect with one vs. the other...
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 08-22-2012 at 06:24 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

Bulldog-Unit777 (08-23-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry JJD for not getting back to you sooner. The Freedom DX-K has done me real well!! Many contacts, looks great and has been proven to work DX real well. Just like radios we like to make changes for one reason or another. Kale has always repeated the story about when he had a custom 1-1/4" X 36" shaft with a cut whip. Unfortunately he cannot produce on for me to see the effects of this. I contacted Noisemaker on making this custom prototype shaft/element. Chose to have a 1" X 54" aluminum shaft/element. Just looking to push the envelope, run the biggest antenna with a balance of aluminum tube and stainless steel whip. So after it was tuned for best SWR the whip was 64-1/4". Cool enough whip to flex. I wanted to see if I replaced more of the stainless steel with an aluminum tube what advantage if any compared to the Freedom DX 7/8" X 36" shaft/element. Noisemaker welded the upper and lower fixtures. Very sturdy but during testing the tube did bent. So we realized that the next prototype will have to include a thicker gauge tubing. My goal once again is trying a different configuration and chase more DX with what power the radios have to offer. It will take sometime to gather the differences between the Freedom DX, Special OPS and a MFJ 108".

Visitors found this page by searching for

redman cb shop reviews

galaxy dx 959 peak and tune

redman cb shop

custom built cb radios

galaxy dx 959

galaxy 959 dual final mod