preps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jabberwalks setup

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jabberwalks setup

installed my new Cobra 29LXLE on Tuesday with this mount. I also have a Uniden Bearcat 12 watt external speaker thats not shown in the pictures. I plan on building a nice console for everything, yes she's bare foot. I may purchase a KL203 or KL300 foot warmer, but not yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Silverado 996; 08-19-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good deal man. Looks as though you'll need a little fire in the wire though. If the power bug hasnt bit you yet, it surely will soon. Might consider adding something like this under your seat...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon Gekko For This Useful Post:

Silverado 996 (08-19-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @ Gordon -

It's hit me already, I was thinking about starting with a KL203 or KL300. I've read good reviews on those unit, plus my dad is the repair center for them here in the USA. Later down the road I could use one of the KL models for a preamp for a larger unit.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice set up Jabberwalk. As with any radio set up there is always room for improvements, upgrades...CB = constent buying, lol! Enjoy, Bulldog.

Kickin' it Old School in Central Maine!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulldog-Unit777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's never ending... LOL!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalk View Post
    @ Gordon -

It's hit me already, I was thinking about starting with a KL203 or KL300. I've read good reviews on those unit, plus my dad is the repair center for them here in the USA. Later down the road I could use one of the KL models for a preamp for a larger unit.
    Hiya jabberwalk. Let me just throw this piece of info out there for your consumption, and this comes from years of experience (and money wasted), and I bet it's something many veterans on here will agree with.

Don't do the "I'll get something small first then upgrade later" thing. if you're looking for an amplifier, these days a 1x4 (like the one in the picture) is pretty much entry-level. You will see between 700-900w Peak out of one of them and the nice part is that a 1x4 will work with just about any vehicle. At most you'd want a 2nd battery in the vehicle but nothing more. No need for a giant alternator and 1/0 wire!

If you go the KL203 route you will get 100-120w Max on AM (according to cbradiomagazine.com 's review).
    Furthermore you will have just spent $65 + $10 for shipping. What you will find is that after a week (maybe less) the power bug bite will start to itch and then you're going to start looking for a bigger amp. This is all normal by the way.

Then you're gonna start saying to yourself, 'Man I should have gotten that KL-300.' So you try selling the 203 and find that nobody wants it. So you purchase the KL-300 (if you can find one) and dump about $150 including shipping into it. So now you're $150 for the 300 + $75 for the 203 equaling $225. Shortly after you run the KL-300 and find that now you're getting 150w max output on AM, you realize that you're still a big mudduck and you need to go bigger.

The next logical progression is to get a 1x4 amp. New these things run around $400 including shipping. You ponder the difference between Davemade, Fatboy, and X-Force and you post about it at great length. Finally you decide on either a Dave or fatboy. You figure you can sell your KL boxes but you quickly find that nobody wants them and the best offer you receive is $50 shipped for both of them.

After doing the math you realize that going the CHEAP way costs you much more. You have $225 + $400 = $625 into amplifiers instead of buying my DaveMade 1x4 for $300 from the beginning!

HaHaHa! Sure I'm trying to sell my box, I won't lie...however every single thing I said about starting TOO small and upgrading along the way is 1000% accurate. I wrote all this because I have DONE all this! As has most people on here when they started out!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Gekko For This Useful Post:

Beercanman (08-19-2012), Bulldog-Unit777 (08-19-2012), Silverado 996 (08-19-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
    Hiya jabberwalk. Let me just throw this piece of info out there for your consumption, and this comes from years of experience (and money wasted), and I bet it's something many veterans on here will agree with.

Don't do the "I'll get something small first then upgrade later" thing. if you're looking for an amplifier, these days a 1x4 (like the one in the picture) is pretty much entry-level. You will see between 700-900w Peak out of one of them and the nice part is that a 1x4 will work with just about any vehicle. At most you'd want a 2nd battery in the vehicle but nothing more. No need for a giant alternator and 1/0 wire!

If you go the KL203 route you will get 100-120w Max on AM (according to cbradiomagazine.com 's review).
    Furthermore you will have just spent $65 + $10 for shipping. What you will find is that after a week (maybe less) the power bug bite will start to itch and then you're going to start looking for a bigger amp. This is all normal by the way.

Then you're gonna start saying to yourself, 'Man I should have gotten that KL-300.' So you try selling the 203 and find that nobody wants it. So you purchase the KL-300 (if you can find one) and dump about $150 including shipping into it. So now you're $150 for the 300 + $75 for the 203 equaling $225. Shortly after you run the KL-300 and find that now you're getting 150w max output on AM, you realize that you're still a big mudduck and you need to go bigger.

The next logical progression is to get a 1x4 amp. New these things run around $400 including shipping. You ponder the difference between Davemade, Fatboy, and X-Force and you post about it at great length. Finally you decide on either a Dave or fatboy. You figure you can sell your KL boxes but you quickly find that nobody wants them and the best offer you receive is $50 shipped for both of them.

After doing the math you realize that going the CHEAP way costs you much more. You have $225 + $400 = $625 into amplifiers instead of buying my DaveMade 1x4 for $300 from the beginning!

HaHaHa! Sure I'm trying to sell my box, I won't lie...however every single thing I said about starting TOO small and upgrading along the way is 1000% accurate. I wrote all this because I have DONE all this! As has most people on here when they started out!
    What a great posting...Geez, I know what you mean... I cant swing $300 at the moment. Food for thought for sure... Thanks for that info. 1x4 is the ticket, sale me yours. What do the 1 x 4's run new or used?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you cant swing a 1x4 now id recommend you save up until i can instead of buying a small box now. Get your feet wet and get your learn on now while you're barefoot. Then make an educated decision after you do your homework. In the long run it will he beneficial

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon Gekko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow doughboy On Twitter Add doughboy on Facebook
    Visit doughboy's Youtube Channel
    Great sales pitch gekko but you really are right on with that im putting a 10k slug in the corner and i want
    More but its starting to get a little sick at that point plus i am probably going steril and will grow some tumors lol
    But yeah like you said something small is hard to resell people only want the pills if anything

14. The Following User Says Thank You to doughboy For This Useful Post:

Gordon Gekko (08-19-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I speak from experience. I spent thousands MORE dollars buying 'up the food chain' as opposed to getting something 'good and proper' from the beginning.

I believe that with all the stray RF flying around cell phones, wifi, LED traffic lights, etc) now versus 30 years ago, there's way more noise in on the airwaves so running a 1x4 will just 'get you heard' through the noise. a 5 pill now is pretty much like being barefoot 20 years ago LOL!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon Gekko For This Useful Post:

Bulldog-Unit777 (08-19-2012)

Visitors found this page by searching for

cobra 200 gtl dx 2sc2879 final

200 watts cb radio amplifier diagram

dave made1x4

KL203 FOOT WARMER DIAGRAM

200 watts cb radio amp

footwarmer 200 amplifier

dave made 1x4 and cobra 29

jabberwalks

jabberwalk communication