preps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: home-brew sigma 4/vector 4000

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

home-brew sigma 4/vector 4000

here's a link to the full thread about my attempt at building the antenna . the first several pages are basically me finding out my initial ideas for it were not up to snuff . eventually i got what i wanted ....

http://www.worldwidedx.com/home-brew...booty-4-a.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

hotrod (12-18-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Booty,
    Do you have any sort of instructions for us antenna noobs out here? And how much power does that handle?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i guess the best instruction i could give is to not be afraid to try . i just copy time proven designs , i'm not trying to reinvent the wheel . keep it simple for your first antenna , like a dipole or 1/4 wave ground plane . when it works you'll have a lot more confidence to try something bigger .

i have no idea how much power it will handle , i only run 200 pep . i built it really strong physically to be sure it can survive the hurricanes we get here on occasion . i guess the weak point power wise would be the mobile stud mount or the tape used for the insulator in the gamma . it would be very simple to direct feed it from the coax to eliminate the stud . and a teflon tube can be had for it for 10-15 bucks , if i recall correctly . or a better/stronger gamma could be added . i'm sure the rest of it could handle several thousand watts or more easily .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

Lunchbox (12-25-2011)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    what determines how much wattage an antenna will handle(please explain it as if you are talking to a six year old with no technical background)thank you...Gravy626

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i've noticed antennas with very high power ratings typically have heavier gauge and larger diameter elements along with teflon or delron insulators , slit tubing with hose clamps seems favored over swagged ends with screws FWICT to . it has to be assembled correctly too

hopefully others will reply to your question with a better answer .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well in the past I have found that most base antenna are able to hold more power than they are rated with some small mods. It all depends on if it is a fiberglass or a alum. antenna. the antennas such as antron 99 and the imax 2000 are pretty much what they are but other that are alum. can hold more. Some alum antenna's such as the maco V58 and simlar are controlled by a coax connector and a wire. you can change the wire size and go to better connector for more wattage handling or even just hot feed it and bypass the coax connector and wire for a very high wattage rating. other antenna are controlled by a gamma such as the antenna talked about in the post or even a beam antenna. On this case just buy a larger gamma or make your own with teflon or delron. The main thing to know is other than the gamma or such thing the coax and coax connectors are your weakest link. so I sugguest hot feeding if you are running anything above 7.5Kw bird Rms. hope this helped

9. The Following User Says Thank You to scooter71nc For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (09-30-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Booty Monster I love that Antenna to death. But Rule Of Thumb says you are not suppose to make wraps like that with your coax being the feedline transmission. it will eliminate noise yessssss . but you will loose velocity as well as gain factor and forward gain . this has been proving when some of the big boys do that on there beams and they make silly wraps like that . you get a weak spot or a hot spot in time when you run power through it , and in time the coax will fail at the wraps cause the energy will be so compressed and focused like running current through a small piece of 16 gauge wire. your performance would be much superior with an AIR VARIABLE CAPACITOR with a voltage rating of 5000 volts or higher . 3-200 pica farads is nice . sometimes you have to go lower, it will depend on your wavelength.
    Last edited by High Voltage Mobile NJ; 03-28-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks for the compliment

" ...... but you will loose velocity as well as gain factor and forward gain . this has been proving when some of the big boys do that on there beams and they make silly wraps like that . ...... "

if by bigboys you mean folks on the super bowl ................ spare me .......................................

i've never noticed or read any of the negative comments about coax chokes that you mentioned . can you elaborate on the how/why of that happening ?
    Last edited by BOOTY MONSTER; 03-28-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    thanks for the compliment

" ...... but you will loose velocity as well as gain factor and forward gain . this has been proving when some of the big boys do that on there beams and they make silly wraps like that . ...... "

if by bigboys you mean folks on the super bowl ................ spare me .......................................

i've never noticed or read any of the negative comments about coax chokes that you mentioned . can you elaborate on the how/why of that happening ?
    if you cant read and search what I have wrote before , you have a problem reading . go look it up or talk to a real hard core cber like myself.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL !!!!!!!!!!

thanks for making a claim and then not backing it up ....................

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

Beercanman (03-29-2013)

Visitors found this page by searching for

sigma 4 antenna

vector 4000

antena vector 4000

sigma vector 4000

sigma 4 antenna for saleNEW VECTOR 4000 OWNERS MANUALsigma 4000vector 4000 antennaantena sigmavector 4000 antennevector 4000 cb antennaimagenes de antena cb vector 4000homebrew sigma 5 antennasigma 4 antenna manualantena sigma 4 homemadevector 4000 manualantenas sigmaantena sigma vector 4000fotos de la vector 4000sigma iv antenna for salehomebrew vector 4000 antennaantena sigma fourantena sigma IVdominator antenna buildhow to setup sigma IV antenna