preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uniden Bearcat 980 In-Dash Install '97 4Runner

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Uniden Bearcat 980 In-Dash Install '97 4Runner

I was told I should post pictures of my new radio install. It is a Uniden Bearcat 980 installed in the upper DIN slot of a 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5. The radio was slightly modified and the warranty voided to make this happen. The serial # plate was removed and the antenna connection was moved about 3" towards the passenger side. The power cable was unmounted and using heavy duty shrink tubing, I formed it so the power connection dropped below the back of the radio -pointing down. These mods were needed in order to clear the defroster box behind the dash. (If there's an interest, I can take pictures of the inside when I remove it for a peak job). The dash panel was only trimmed about .1" to allow the slightly-over-din-sized 980 to fit. The radio fit easily between the DIN's mounting ears with no cutting.

Name:  cb_day.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  92.4 KBName:  cb_night.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  23.8 KB Day and night mode shots. The 7 color display was easy to match with my stereo. Time to get the 'scope out so I can mod it up for auto-day/night switching with headlights.

EDIT: reminder... add pics of the antenna. It's a Wilson 2000 mounted up top, near-center of the truck.
    Last edited by FarmerGreg; 12-12-2012 at 07:25 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FarmerGreg For This Useful Post:

Steve_Buckeye (11-16-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    very clean install

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

FarmerGreg (12-16-2012), Steve_Buckeye (11-16-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FarmerGreg,

I'm glad you posted your install, it's professionally done and clean.
    Two thumbs up!

Silverado 996

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado 996 For This Useful Post:

FarmerGreg (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys. It seems to be plenty powerful and the sound quality is pretty good.

Having the radio in the dash made it super easy to convince the wife that we 'need' a Yaesu too; it will fit in the arm-rest console.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    nice...I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma that I installed a Uniden 680 in the dash just like yours...only the cb was under the stereo, but my dash looks exactly like yours...I later took it back out tho because the 680 has lousy receive...Was considering installing a 980 but couldn't figure out how to get around the defroster box...If you take it back out I would really like to see how you modified the back of the radio to get it to fit.

Something else you can do if ya want...If you remove the ash tray and it's bracket, the Uniden external speaker fit's nicely in that slot where the ash tray is at!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

Beavis (12-20-2012), FarmerGreg (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FarmerGreg,

That looks really awesome! I just ordered one today (Uniden 980) from Amazon.com. I probably won't install it in the dash as I'm not that handy but am looking forward to receiving it.

CircuitRider

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CircuitRider For This Useful Post:

FarmerGreg (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Jesse, yeah, I tried mounting the 980 in the lower slot. Unseen in the picture is the automatic shifter. With the 980 in the lower slot, the tip of shifter would hold down the weather button when in park. Swapping the media player to the lower slot made it work.

Currently, I'm in on a holiday road trip. When I return home, I plan on pulling it to crank the amc so I will take some pictures then.

@circuitrider, the mods aren't that difficult. If you can handle a drill, screwdriver and a soldering iron, you're set.

Sent from Tapatalk...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FarmerGreg For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (12-17-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    great install. with these smaller vechiles im thinking this might become more popular
    in years to come

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Received the 980 yesterday and it is awesome. Currently riding on the seat on the passenger side.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice & clean install man, good job! My 94 Grand Cherokee has a 1.5 din stereo in it. I considered putting the 29LX in place of the cubby storage in the dash below the hvac controls. I got my cheap Radio Shack meter mounted in the cubby storage right now until I have time to tear it all out and experiment. It'll just stay the way it is for now.

sent from my DavemadeŽ phone
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Visitors found this page by searching for

bearcat 980 mods

bearcat 680 mods

uniden bearcat 980

uniden bearcat cb 980 installed

ns2.nubbyswasteland.com page2

uniden 980

bearcat 980 vs cobra 148gtl

mail.nubbyswasteland.com 700-Uniden-Bearcat-980-In-Dash-Install-97-4Runner

uniden 980 din

Uniden bc 980modsuniden 680 modsuniden 980 ssduniden bearcat tacoma installuniden 980 ssb cb radio in dash mountcb radio that fits in radio location on a 97 4runnerbearcat 980 channel modsSingle DIN in dash mount uniden 980bearcat install in dashgalaxy dx 929 in dash does a uniden 980 fit into single dinbearcat 980 din installationuniden bearcat 680bearcat 980 ssb dincobra 20 lx versus uniden bearcat 980uniden bearcat 980 mods