preps

Thread: ? on Thickness of Wire - Srand vs Solid - When Making Your Own Dipole Antenna

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

? on Thickness of Wire - Srand vs Solid - When Making Your Own Dipole Antenna

I have been thinking of making my own Dipole Antenna. I usually see them for sale with either 14 gauge or 16 gauge wire. Would using a 10 gauge wire improve the overall performance?

Also, is it better you use strand copper wire vs solid copper wire or just the opposite?

Comments and suggestions appreciated.
    Of all the things I have lost, through out my life, I miss my mind the most!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    a larger diameter wire/element can have a wider usable bandwidth than a smaller one , but it would not make it talk farther/stronger or hear better . stranded is easier to work with when installing but since the signal travels on the surface as long as they are close to the same diameter all (bandwidth) will be equal . just be sure to weather proof the connections of what ever you use .

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

JohnnyFlake (12-20-2012), mackmobile43 (12-19-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought my dipole from DR Dipole and he used 14 gauge wire and it works pretty much on ten meter and most of 11 meter , thats all I can go by . On Ebay its the blue one I bought with a balun attached . It's pretty sturdy . I have it in a horizontal ( V ) . I would go by what he did . I don't know if that helps . Good luck .
    Eddie aka Ducksoupe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ducksoupe For This Useful Post:

JohnnyFlake (12-20-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Exactly what monster said...I have been making antenna ever since purchasing my first one and descovering most are a rip off...haha...Now some antennas are better off being constructed by manufactures for example mag mount antennas, I don't know how to make a mag mount better than what they can...but pretty much everything else I can figure out...dipoles are my favorite, ive used all sizes in gauges...obviously the larger the diameterl the more level my SWR readings where across the band...I prefer stranded only because it is more forgiving with stretch and tention and its easier to roll up...
    de 747 and I'm clear...

"He who controls the electromagnetic spectrum controls the world..."

Visitors found this page by searching for

dr-dipole for mobile

solid 10 wire dipole

cb wire antenna vs. metal dipole

dipole wire gauge vs length