preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May Buy Another Radio Soon - What Would You Buy???

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you have $500-600 to spend,, DO not waste your time with a cb,, go get a hf radio, entry level= alnico dx-sr8t or icom 718, or a used alnico dx70 or kenwood ts50

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wi544 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (05-08-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey 544, it's La Crosse.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Think I would fix my antenna problem before spending another dime on a radio...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    JJD is 110% right, DO NOT BUY a other radio until you have resolved the antenna system issue, this includes all coax, connectors and the antenna, make sure that the coax is free of any kinks or damage, check for loose connectors or bad ones, and then recheck the swr reading with an external swr meter, not the one built into the radio. Use a cheap radio to do this!! This way if you hurt the radio no biggie, find a used radio, and set your system up, then get the radio you really want. Without a good antenna system you are Pi Pi'ing into the wind! Your new radio will only work as well as the antenna system will let it. Like JJD said, don't spend another dime on a radio until you fix the antenna issue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

NY714 (05-10-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Antenna problems are easy. Find a cb shop with an antenna analyzer. Pay them to properly install and tune your antenna. Cost me 20 dollars.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good advice 856, that is off there is a cb shop close to him, I know around here I wouldn't take a walkie talkie to any of the techs around here.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    Good advice 856, that is off there is a cb shop close to him, I know around here I wouldn't take a walkie talkie to any of the techs around here.
    I guess I'm lucky. I have a really good guy.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They are getting harder to find that's for sure, it really sucks as normally most would have to buy the proper equipment themselves. But hey I wouldn't mind having a nice mfj antenna analyzer!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    They are getting harder to find that's for sure, it really sucks as normally most would have to buy the proper equipment themselves. But hey I wouldn't mind having a nice mfj antenna analyzer!!
    A rat shack jober works just fine but you can't do better then an analyzer.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 856 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (05-10-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m168 View Post
    I just got back into CB, [no ticket] about a year ago after several decades as a trucker using Cobras and Texas Stars. In that time I have bought and sold a Uniden 980 and an RCI 2985DX, several amps, tube and FET and pill. I now consider it a terrible waste of money. About 3 months ago, i bought a Kenwood TS 430s and it was the best move I ever made. I have talked most of EU and all the states and a good part of South America and used it for digital mode, which is even better. I would recommend you buy one of those. fairly cheap for what they are, they put out about 100 watts in SSB and they don't splatter.

I am now waiting, while the skip is flipping, for a used Yaesu 101 I bought and am having the AM filter and 11 meter crystal being installed. Nothing like the sound of a tube radio.
    Do your homework with research. I agree the next strp to Ham radio is a good start for LSB, or USB talking, but if your going to use AM for alot of your talking may not want to go to Ham Radio yet. Might be better off with Export 10/12 Meter Radio. It all depends where you spend the majority of your talking.

PS - Those New President Grant 2 and Lincoln 2 aren't looking bad. They have already found a fix for the Lincoln 2's firmware to make the receive as good as the Grant 2, especially if need a dual final radio.
    Last edited by NY714; 05-10-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

Visitors found this page by searching for

how to wire a xtreme 2018 to icom 718 ham radio