preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May Buy Another Radio Soon - What Would You Buy???

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

May Buy Another Radio Soon - What Would You Buy???

I am not sure and I need to learn how to check it out, but with the antenna problem I've had, I think I may have fried my brand new Galaxy 979

Either way, I am thinking of buying a new, higher quality radio. If you could buy any radio you wanted CB/SSB or 10 meter with AM, FM, SSB at $600 max, what would you buy?

Also, please comment on why you would go with the radio you chose.
    Of all the things I have lost, through out my life, I miss my mind the most!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    try this one Well there are some nice radios out there , is for CB or you have a license for 10 meter . I would stay away from Ebay with that much money you are willing to send . Do a search on Google for CB dealers and dealers of ham radios . At-least you know where they are .I spent time on the net finding good web sites , Make sure they will except Papal
    Eddie aka Ducksoupe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ducksoupe For This Useful Post:

JohnnyFlake (12-25-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    $125 Cobra 29lx, and spend the rest on as big a Amp as I could get with whats left over...If SSB is something I really wanted, then get a new 979 and spend the rest on the Amp...But that's just me...I like to be herd "Loud and Proud"...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those are both over $700 and more than I want to spend. I am thinking something more like the following or in that class of transceiver.

http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.co...idproduct=1298

http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=820

I am also looking at the following based on a few recommendations.

http://www.wearecb.com/store/rf-limi...4a92fd22c03fdd
    Last edited by JohnnyFlake; 12-25-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    $125 Cobra 29lx, and spend the rest on as big a Amp as I could get with whats left over...If SSB is something I really wanted, then get a new 979 and spend the rest on the Amp...But that's just me...I like to be herd "Loud and Proud"...
    I did buy a 979 a few weeks ago. That's the radio I think I fried. I am not sure how to check it out, but right now I do not have an antenna in place. I get no sound of any kind, no static, no nothing.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Uniden has an inexpensive side-bander . Maybe an inexpensive SWR meter . I have a Vanco SWR meter in line t all times as I use various radios . I only have 2 sideband radios out of the pack .
    Eddie aka Ducksoupe

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ducksoupe For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (12-29-2012), JohnnyFlake (12-28-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Johnny, I too had an antenna malfunction (this is code for "I keyed it up to long with a high SWR") Interestingly, i found that it still put out a clean 2 watts and through a small "amp" it sounds great. Is repairing the 979 an optiion?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bandit For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (12-29-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Hi Johnny, I too had an antenna malfunction (this is code for "I keyed it up to long with a high SWR") Interestingly, i found that it still put out a clean 2 watts and through a small "amp" it sounds great. Is repairing the 979 an optiion?
    I don't really know if it's worth looking into. A new friend came over yesterday and got me started in the right direction with my new 257HP but he agrees that there is a problem with the 979. I am not knowledgeable enough to open up the 979 and check out what may be wrong, and I have not been able to find a tech in my area.

Any advise on what I can try to do or where I could get it checked out will be appreciated.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyFlake For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (12-29-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got back into CB, [no ticket] about a year ago after several decades as a trucker using Cobras and Texas Stars. In that time I have bought and sold a Uniden 980 and an RCI 2985DX, several amps, tube and FET and pill. I now consider it a terrible waste of money. About 3 months ago, i bought a Kenwood TS 430s and it was the best move I ever made. I have talked most of EU and all the states and a good part of South America and used it for digital mode, which is even better. I would recommend you buy one of those. fairly cheap for what they are, they put out about 100 watts in SSB and they don't splatter.

I am now waiting, while the skip is flipping, for a used Yaesu 101 I bought and am having the AM filter and 11 meter crystal being installed. Nothing like the sound of a tube radio.

Visitors found this page by searching for

how to wire a xtreme 2018 to icom 718 ham radio