preps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hy gain spt500???

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    " ....... Another owner said to put nylon rope inside the elements to bleed off static ...... "

who ever said that is a dumb-ass . nylon is non conductive and would have no effect of RF .
    thats a great antenna you have there . as hotrod said , take your time with it and you should see a improvement over your A99 .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys I think I will be try it out tomorrow today is pretty windy on the island and cold only 22 but the new set should be great I got a new run of lmr400 with silver coated pl259 connectors and also upgraded my ground wire to 6 gauge solid copper to a 8 1/2' solid ground rod

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yea its cold here in pa also around 20 or so. the good lmr coax and that antenna should make a great
    combo.far as grounding it ,if its going to be on a tower most just run a ground strap or wire from
    the ground rod to to tower usually a bolt. in 1 case ive seen the ground rod less than 1 inch from
    the tower. if ya using a mast pipe /telescopic pipe guess ya could try to drill a hole in the pipe
    say 1/2 inch then with a bolt/nut run your ground wire to it.you do wanna keep them as short as possible
    and grounding it at the base of the antenna i would think that will give ya negitives results cause if your
    ground wire is too long it can radiate like a antenna.hopefully i got all this right and if not hopefully someone will correct me. this is just my best of understanding
    base-AR3500 ,palamar 250,d104 w/ 10da head ,sirio 2016,ll400 coax
    mobile-s.s. 3900, sirio z180 , astatic 636S.E

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wouldn't you know it wake up ready to start project to a fresh coat 1/2 inch deep wet slick snow on the roof

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow doughboy On Twitter Add doughboy on Facebook
    Visit doughboy's Youtube Channel
    Why can he not sell it legally as an 11meter antenna ive never heard that one before

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Because it is a all aluminum antenna cb antennas have to be able to hit a high power line without passing a certain amount of electricity to the handler by law or have enough non conductive material to pass a test on voltage before it can be sold to the general public antenna such as maco and workman 58 and alike are sold as commercial antenna to get around this law google it as I'm sure I got something wrong but there is a law and that is the general understanding of it that I understand anyhow
    Last edited by Pollock; 03-03-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Never heard of such a law ham radio antennas are metal or fiberglass tv antennas also come in metal as do scanner and vhf uhf antennas the only laws on cb antennas govern height and also heights near airports sounds like someone just used that as An excuse

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    http://law.justia.com/cfr/title16/16-2.0.1.2.35.html. Here is a link that I found that describes it much better
    Last edited by Pollock; 03-03-2013 at 10:31 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pollock For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-04-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Crazy i would never thought it but i guess cb people cant even be trusted as much as a tv antenna installer

In short, if a company or individual wants to market an omni-directional CB antenna, the antenna has to physically tested in a defined test situation when the antenna is intentionally brought in contact with an equivalent of a standard residential distribution primary line, and withstand that contact (with coax and mast connected) with less than 5 mA current flow.

Anyone selling a CB antenna that cannot, with feedline and metal mast attached, directly contact a 14.5 kV RMS line is subject to huge penalties, and must even recall the products.

This is not a simple matter of throwing some insulation on an antenna, or using an insulated mount. It takes a great deal of insulation, and it is very unlikely any mount-insulating system would ever work because the coax and mast would not be allowed to conduct harmful currents. The only legal solution practical is a well-insulated antenna element. Whatever the method, the antenna area would have to withstand physical contact directly to a 14.5 kV RMS power line in the condition the antenna would be in as erected with no leakage above 5 mA. That means feedline and mast in place.

We can pretty well bet anyone selling an aluminum omni-directional vertical for CB use is breaking a law that has some pretty stiff penalties, unless they have found a way to have 21 kV of peak voltage isolation between the antenna and the mast and coax.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to doughboy For This Useful Post:

High Voltage Mobile NJ (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

I guess its ok if want to be electrocuted by a beam because it only covers omni antennas

13. The Following User Says Thank You to doughboy For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-04-2013)

Visitors found this page by searching for

hygain spt 500 review

hy-gain spt-500

super penetrator

spt-500

spt-500 antenna

length of spt500 for cb use

hy-gain spt-500 tuning manual

super penetrator cb antenna for sale

how to lower swr on hy-gain model spt-500 antenna