preps

Thread: Volts and your Opinions

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Volts and your Opinions

I know at keydowns alot or some people hide buttons which kick their boxes from say 13.8 volt to 16-18 volt to get the extra edge on more watts. I personally am a Mudduck and stick to 12,5-13.8 volt and can see a difference in power. Jusy curious to some of you guys who run un-regulated power supplies, do you like the higher voltage and see a big difference? From a base set-up or even a mobile set-up? very curious as to hear the different views on volting up the boxes?? Thamk you.
    Last edited by NY714; 03-02-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    at keydowns they are all on volts unless its a 12 volt class and they check you with volt meters .

there is no hiding buttons , more like some people hide extra amplifiers in the headliner and stuff like that , lol lol lol

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by High Voltage Mobile NJ View Post
    at keydowns they are all on volts unless its a 12 volt class and they check you with volt meters .

there is no hiding buttons , more like some people hide extra amplifiers in the headliner and stuff like that , lol lol lol
    I agree but have after the check on volt, some people use rear defroster switch to kick up volt especially on competition boxes, just what heard as rumors at keydowns. Was just curioud as to whether you prefer 12-13.5 volt or prefer the higher 16+ volt? any advantages or disadvantages in your opinion, because I know you have alot more knowledge as far as this goes and am sure members of the forum would like to know. For example someone on Island run a 3 pill box at almost 22+ volt and supposely gets 400-500 watts out but audio is terrible distorted? can this shorten the life of a competition "C" box? I know usually AB-1 can only run 13.8 volt at most? Again I believe? Though you can share some of your knowledge with the forum? Thanks
    Last edited by NY714; 03-02-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well im no expert on this. but for my base setup i do see a increase going from say 13 volts to 14.2 volts [which is what isee in my mobile] the difference is small BUT there . imho i dont think its worth it in my case.
    whats confusing to me is my van idling my volts read 14.2 on my digital dvm. so i might be missing
    something here. again these are just my observations of my setups.
    base-AR3500 ,palamar 250,d104 w/ 10da head ,sirio 2016,ll400 coax
    mobile-s.s. 3900, sirio z180 , astatic 636S.E

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    todays class c boxes can run up to 16-17 volts no problem if swr is good. 1.2 is fine.
    will you see more power yes. will it make worlds of a difference. no. 1 s unit increase takes doubling your power twice!!!!!!!!! 50 peak is nothing. in competition we are looking for every last watt. thats why we run 20-21 volts. but its only a 10 second key. do we see a lot more power then running at 14 volts.. yes.

this switch in the dashboard is funny stuff.... maybe they use that to operate a 2 stage regulator... it would be the only way.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CBRN38 For This Useful Post:

High Voltage Mobile NJ (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    big debo run my shit at 24 volts, key on all dem cracka mutha fuckas! dammit boy!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by NY714 View Post
    For example someone on Island run a 3 pill box at almost 22+ volt and supposely gets 400-500 watts out but audio is terrible distorted?
    First off, volting a Amp with a built-n driver stage is a "no-no"...you'll end up smoking the final stage every time...

Second, if your volting a 3 pill @ 22v's and only seeing 400-500w's out, you have already blown the final stage! (a 3 pill at just 12v's should do 400-500w's)

Third, If your volting the 3 pill @ 22v's, and only seeing 400-500w's, and the audio sounds "distorted"...We'll, That's because you popped yo pills dude!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

High Voltage Mobile NJ (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRN38 View Post
    todays class c boxes can run up to 16-17 volts no problem if swr is good. 1.2 is fine.
    will you see more power yes. will it make worlds of a difference. no. 1 s unit increase takes doubling your power twice!!!!!!!!! 50 peak is nothing. in competition we are looking for every last watt. thats why we run 20-21 volts. but its only a 10 second key. do we see a lot more power then running at 14 volts.. yes.

this switch in the dashboard is funny stuff.... maybe they use that to operate a 2 stage regulator... it would be the only way.
    This is spot on. You need to double your power to see "1 pound" additional on the receiving station's S-Meter. Can you truly 'hear' the difference between someone giving you 4 pounds vs. someone giving you 5 pounds? Not worth the investment. For daily talking a good 1x4 will be enough to get over the noise level.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None