preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: teach me how to skip

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question teach me how to skip

I've never really tried to skip before. I would really like to know how it all works (please make it easy to understand lol) any help on this topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is no technique to it. Its all atmospheric conditions. While any antenna/radio can do it, unless your running an Amp, your more than likely going to get squashed by the larger heavier hitting stations. It is all about being on the air at the right time. Skip can last 1min 1 hour or multiple days. Just listen to the radio and if your hearing a lot of noise and stations from all over booming in, start calling out your handle. If someone hears you they may call you back

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright. Thank you sir.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your antenna play a huge role in the DX department...all Radios are pretty much the same they take your voice (audio) and change it to RF and then pass it of to the antenna...it's your antenna that will make or break you. To keep it as simple as possible you want to have an antenna with a good ground plane (reflective side) and a low angle of radiation...during the day the upper atmosphere is charged by the sun which can reflect HF radiation back down to the surface and sometimes back up again for an additional "skip". The lower angle of radiation allows your signal to stretch out farther before bouncing off the upper atmosphere and then back down the the surface...hence "Skip". A typical 1/4 wave vertical antenna with an efficient ground plane will have a low angle of radiation approx 8-20 degrees from the horizon this will give hundreds of miles in skip...like mentioned earlier if you can hear them then DX or Skip is active. Ground planes can get a person wrapped around the axle forever...DX or Skip in a Vehicle is very challenging. Much easier outside of a vehicle due to the extensive grounding needed for the ground plane...most vehicles are not rf bonded well and just making your own wire antenna for outside will produce much more satisfaction...let me know if you have any specific questions dealing with your antenna sysem...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moonchild 747 For This Useful Post:

Red75 (07-08-2016), the caveman (05-05-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Skip is gay

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Would my Monkey Made 9" shaft be a good antenna for skip? And is there a certain way you can tell when skip is good 747? I was told listen for a lot of radio activity.
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by the caveman View Post
    Would my Monkey Made 9" shaft be a good antenna for skip? And is there a certain way you can tell when skip is good 747? I was told listen for a lot of radio activity.
    Caveman,

Monkey Made antennas are popular competition antennas and usually are run in the Kilowatt ranges...The large coils allow for greater wattage to be used...but in order to keep the antenna electrically at 1/4 wave length the whip is usually shortened, this in turn affects the height of the antenna and thus the angle of radiation and it's efficiency...but when your pushing that many watts doesn't really matter much...

Below is a good link to read about the efficiencies of some of the more popular CB antennas, including MM9...

http://www.copper.com/articles/big_c...as_exposed.php

MM9 is a good antenna and for obvious reasons not everybody can sport the good old 102" whip on their vehicle especially if they want to go through drive throughs and parking garages...I don't run with the big boys anymore so I've moved down to the lower wattage range and have no need for the "Big Coil" Alligators...You know why they call them Alligators right? Big mouths little ears...haha...Talk real far can't hear down the street...Shouldn't hate, use to run the same way...Found that I can still talk around the world running minimal wattage...All has to do with the efficiency and height of the antenna...My mobile rig is purely for talking local and maybe just a little bit farther...Base is running world wide. Now I do get stepped on often cause I'm not running in the Kilowatt range but everyone has to stop to breath every now and then and that's when I'll jump in...haha...I run with a 102" whip and tuck it when not in use so that I can drive around and not connect look like a bumper car...haha. Take a look at the website this should shed some like on your question...MM9 is a good antenna.

de 747 and I'm clear.
    de 747 and I'm clear...

"He who controls the electromagnetic spectrum controls the world..."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonchild 747 For This Useful Post:

the caveman (05-05-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Go hang around the Elementary Schools in your area and watch how the 7 and 8 year old girls do it...Basically it involves walking but every other step instead of going "Left-right-left-right" you would go "left-left-right-right"...7 and 8 year old's have it down pat!

-side note...I wouldn't recommend hanging around too long watching 7 and 8 year old girls...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Go hang around the Elementary Schools in your area and watch how the 7 and 8 year old girls do it...Basically it involves walking but every other step instead of going "Left-right-left-right" you would go "left-left-right-right"...7 and 8 year old's have it down pat!

-side note...I wouldn't recommend hanging around too long watching 7 and 8 year old girls...
    I ain't no child creeper jesse lololol
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Whenever you here Silverado 996 Austin, Tx with a wave or anyone call DX from out of your state, jump on the mic...The skip is rolling. If your dashboard catches on fire and starts to melt... That be Jesse James out of Dallas!! Put your FireStik back on adjust your SwR's and pound the sky with it. My daughter fights me for the mic when the skip is rolling. she needs her own rig... I don't like sharing!!
    Silverado 996 back in the woods and I'm gone!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *
    * Ranger 2970N2 * 5' FireStik FS-5 *
    * Uniden BearCat 12 watt spearker *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado 996 For This Useful Post:

the caveman (05-19-2013)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None