preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first base setup

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

first base setup

I plan on having ,my own base in the next month or two. Got pretty much everything I need other than power source and amp. Crossin my fingers and hoping I can get what I need for a decent price.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Take your time and get the equipment you really want the first time. You'll be much happier in the end.

Sent from your mom's mobile phone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Beercanman For This Useful Post:

Gordon Gekko (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sticking with what I got so I can save up for the good stuff. I've been working on my spending plan for this radio setup. Hopefully i can get everything I without spending to much money.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the caveman For This Useful Post:

Beercanman (03-24-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I too am new to the world of base stations and found a lot of used items at good prices at my local flea markets and yard sales. Such as: a power mic for 5 bucks and my Royce xl 625 base for 15! Look around and take your time
    Russ

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    buy once but buy good,,,,theres a lot of crap out there

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What have you found so far?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I utilize my mobile rig for my base station and operate off a 105 amp/hr deep cycle marine battery ($85.00) Academy Sporting Goods. Deep cycle battery keeps the floor noise very low, no hum from cheap AC/DC power supply...Too cheap to pay the $$'s for a nice power supply...Antenna is a home brew 1/2 wave dipole (14 gauge twisted copper wire) elevated 20ft suspended between the the garage roof and a supporting tree ($15.00)...CB is mounted on the desk using a spare piece of aluminum stock scrap ($FREE), so only thing needed is that I remove the radio from the car and bring it in the house...Very inexpensive and easy for someone starting off...Cobra wire harness was cut off and replaced with PowerPole connectors for easy connect/disconnect ($10.00 for 10 pairs, only needed three).
    de 747 and I'm clear...

"He who controls the electromagnetic spectrum controls the world..."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moonchild 747 For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (05-06-2013), the caveman (05-07-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice setup, and rather creative. What kind of distance can you PIck up and transmit to?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Drafter,

Usually when the band is open I can easily hit the west coast from the east coast...Now I do have several environmentals playing in my favor...I live on the east coast and close to the beach so I have what some would call a "salt water linear amplifier" the ground below me is close to a perfect ground for my vertical due to the salinity of the sand, now my dipole benefits the same but my vertical seams to soar...Now the vertical I use is called a J-pole, which I made myself and basically is a 1/2 wave vertical with a 1/4 wave counterpoise running vertically parallel to the radiating element...pretty simple design, anyone can make it...But on a bad day I consistently hit the next state over, I run 150W's clean...It's all about the antenna! I've hit middle of the states before on just 5W's messing around...All depends on atmosphere...Day time propagation is better for 11m due to the sun charging the F1/F2 layer which reflects HF back down to the surface allowing skip but hard to break through cause so many signals are coming through at the same time...At night the F1/F2 layer disappears and HF just blows on through the upper atmosphere and never comes back...Sometimes at night though you'll experience Sporadic E or grey zone ducting which is when your signal gets trapped between the light and dark side of the atmosphere (Sunrise & Sunset) and you'll find yourself trying to understand some Japanesse trucker (If theres such a think...haha)...
    de 747 and I'm clear...

"He who controls the electromagnetic spectrum controls the world..."

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I wish I had a set up like that. What kind of swr readings do you get?

Visitors found this page by searching for

royce 625 base station

royce 625 base station mic

need a royce cb i-625 base station microphone

royce cb i-625 base station