preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first base setup

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by drafterruss View Post
    Thanks. I wish I had a set up like that. What kind of swr readings do you get?
    1.5:1 on the J-pole at the beach (no ground plane required) no tunner used, just dangling on a 31ft telescopic painters pole w/ three guy lines for support...1/2 wire dipole at the house (15miles from the beach) 20ft above ground for a low angle of radiate for DX work was cut for 11m so I tune it down for a perfect match using my MFJ-971 portable tuner (not much tuning needed)

That J-Pole is super easy to make...Internet is loaded with plans for building this antenna...hardest thing to find is the 450 ohm ladder line which has to be bought in length...below is where I get mine from, decent prices:
    http://www.amateurradiosupplies.com/...FS9eQgodoU4AkA

youtube video 11m J-Pole:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBsy5Vk1hZQ

This guy is a ham who has some great DIY builds for antenna.
    Last edited by Moonchild 747; 05-13-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    de 747 and I'm clear...

"He who controls the electromagnetic spectrum controls the world..."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonchild 747 For This Useful Post:

the caveman (05-16-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That doesn't seem like to much of a project. I am tackle that as it would be a hug improvement over what I have now. Today's (it's my day off) project it to re ground my current antenna. I am torn as to how many ground rods to use. Some say 3 others say 1 it will be in hard clay soil. Have any input anyone? Thanks for all the help/ ideas moonchild, I hope you will keep lending a hand as I keep learning.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    maybe 3 since you will need as much grounding as possible? im not an expert but i would go with as much as possible.
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Drafter,
    Just remember there are two different types of grounds DC and RF...If you are operating off an AC/DC inverter then you should be fine with the grounding your house provides through the outlet, but if you're using a DC battery then you could, but not necessary, run a 4 foot copper solid grounding rod just outside your house next to where your antenna is for DC grounding, this will help with reducing man made noise on vertically polarized antennas...Now your RF grounding pertains to your Mobile units mainly because mobiles run monopoles (positive side basically) and the RF grounding provides the second half of the antenna (the negative side)...Now if you're running from a base station then it all depends on the antenna you're using as to whether or not you need to create a ground plane for your antenna...The J-pole (Whether made of ridged copper pipe or 450 or 300 ohm flexible ladder line) is designed not to need a ground plan cause it has the other side of the antenna made into the design, same as a 1/2 wave dipole...If you was to just make a straight up vertical antenna from a 102" whip and mount it on a pole on the side of your house you would need some radials to create a ground plane for the radiator (102" whip) to reflect off of...The further off ground the vertical antenna is the less it needs for ground plane radials...actually two 1/4 wave radials 180 deg off of the radiator (102" whip) at approx. 16 ft would work great DX, kind of like an inverted "T". The closer the radiator is to earth the more the signal gets absorbed by the earth, that is why they say if you mounted a ground vertical you'd need 120 1/4 wave radials to create a perfect ground plane for that antenna (anything more than 32 radials is negligible, you wouldn't really notice any gain)...Most people that run ground verticals live in areas where there's restrictions on throwing up large pieces of metal in the air...haha...So they opt for the 8 foot vertical inside the 6 foot privacy fence so nobody can tell on them...Glad to help you guys any way I can...keep asking and I'll try to answer the best I know how...
    de 747 and I'm clear...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW...Hard clay is a poor conductor of electricity the only good ground is near salt water so anything else is going to need a decent ground plane (Radials, neg side of the antenna)...You'll hear those guys talk on CH6 about their ground planes...it really make a huge difference, for one it lowers your angle of radiation on your vertical allowing for longer skip which is what everyone hopes to achieve in their antenna setup...No body wants their signal to just shoot straight up into the sky and never come back down...kind of like skipping stones as a child, throw the stone directly at the water and it passes through to the surface and sinks to the bottom, but put some angle on it and it skips straight across the surface and gets that distance...
    de 747 and I'm clear...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well thanks for the helP guys. I used 3 6' copper rods hammered 4' in. The ground around me is nothing but clay and rock. It did cut down on my static a good bit which made my girlfriend rather happy. Thanks again caveman and moonchild you guys where a huge help.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    NP bro...always helps to keep the XYL's happy too...haha
    de 747 and I'm clear...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Xyl? Sorry I am still learning

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    XYL...EX Young Lady or old Girl Friend or Wife...no worries
    de 747 and I'm clear...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    what keep a woman happy? clone yourself and let you be happy,,,,i always tell my wife when i die i will come back as you and leave me alone

Visitors found this page by searching for

royce 625 base station

royce 625 base station mic

need a royce cb i-625 base station microphone

royce cb i-625 base station