preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe drive for fatboy straight 4x2879

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I no you are . your cool like that . no worries lol

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to High Voltage Mobile NJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just blew my 4 pill Fatboy drove it too much I could fix it myself but need schematic. Anyone has one where I could find one?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babalou51 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the bottom line is who you talk to and who you don't

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hammerhead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hello is anybody out smile if you can hear me !!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hammerhead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Safe drive for fatboy straight 4x2879

What HV mobile is saying is that most amps only really need about 10 watts pep per transistor to get a clean 100 watts or so out. So 40-60 watts of drive should be plenty to get the wattage out. Seeing ore than 4-600 watts out of a 4 pill is just making the meter dance and creating a bunch of splatter. I can understand your reasoning for running your amps the way you do, but for everyday use I would not use anything more than a dual final radio to drive a 4 pill amp. About 40-60 watts is all I will put into my older TNT 600hd with Toshiba 2879's. Now a newer amp with say DEI transistors, I wouldn't volt last 16-18vdc, and I wouldn't run my stuff at 20vdc either. I don't want to be replacing Toshiba 2879's!! They aren't cheap and are getting very very hard to find unless you know someone with a good stash of them. Again, this applies to everyday use. You can certainly use a small driver, but you truly don't need one IMO, even with a stock single final radio you aren't going to "hurt anything". Keep the dead key at about 4-6 watts, and with just a little forward swing you can get 3-400 watts out. I use a Uniden 980 sometimes with my TNT 600hd, and this is an older one that will take some input. If you notice nowadays, they don't list the input pep wattage like before, but rather tell you not to exceed a certain amount of dead key carrier out of the amp and max
    pep wattage. No mention of old
    Input numbers like before, which the older TNT 600hd's with Toshiba 2879's were padded on the input and would take up to a 10 watt dead key or about 200 watts carrier if memory serves me correctly. At any rate, over driving the amp is worse than loafing it along IMO. But if you are in keydowns and competitions, then yes you rant every watt you can get. The trick is to get all that power onto one frequency you're talking on. JMHO. Keep overdriving those amps fellas, I know a couple techs that love you guys and make good money just repairing many amps that have had the hammer put to them one to many times LOL!! Again, JMHO, but a good dual final export radio or even a good single final radio will work just fine with the amp in question. Don't drive the piss out of it and expect it to last though! I at least know that my TNT 600hd is over 10yrs. Old and it still performs flawlessly! And I only hit it with 100 watts max, and saw almost 800 watts pep, but like I said, Toshiba 2879's aren't cheap and even DEI transistors are going by the wayside. So keep this in mind while you are driving the shit out of the amp as well as how much it's going to cost to repair one. Most of the time it's almost what you paid for the amp in the first place. But hey, it's your equipment, do with it as you like!!
    Last edited by 222FL; 01-09-2016 at 05:26 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads864-Safe-drive-for-fatboy-straight-4x2879

Fatboy 4x2879

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads864-Safe-drive-for-fatboy-straight-4x2879#::text=Well normally a 4 pill needs around 100 watts bird drive.

fatboy 4x2879 base amplifierhow much deadkey into 4x2879 ampfatboy 2 pill amphow many amps for a 4 pill linearFatboy 4x2879 reviews30 watt dead key into a dave made 4 pill80 watts into fatboy 4x2879fat boy 4 x 2879fat boy 4 pill hd reviewsfatboy 4x2879 mobile amps blogproblems with cobra 29 and fatboy ampfatboy base straight 4 pill spec sheet how many watts do i need to blow the receive on somebodys cbfat boy 2x4fat boy 2 pillfatboy 2x4 linialfatboy 5 pill forum4x2879 ampfatboy amp reviewshttp:www.cbjunkies.comthreads864-Safe-drive-for-fatboy-straight-4x2879#::text=No more than 50-60 if your over driving it .dave made 4 pill ampliferfatboy amplifier 4 pills