preps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy needs help

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    a ground plane antenna usally has radials at the middle to bottom half of the antenna. they could be vertical or horizontal radials . there are many designs of them . im sure booty monster can help you with that one. hes great at copying and pasting special technical Data and then talking in circles on what he think it does . lol lol lol anything I can help you with , please feel free to ask drafterruss .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to High Voltage Mobile NJ For This Useful Post:

drafterruss (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What brand/ kind of ground plane should I look for? Can I get one under 100$ coax and meter came in today hoping Antanna is here by the weekend so I can try my setup.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would go with the maco 5/8 antenna . or an imax2000 solarcon 5/8 wave . the imax2000 is basically a plug and play antenna . the maco you have to adjust slighty until you achieve the best swr for 27mhz. it depends on your terrain of ya neighborhood. you wanna try to keep the antenna above the tree lines .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to High Voltage Mobile NJ For This Useful Post:

drafterruss (04-05-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will check those out after work. Begin here in western pa where all we have is mountains and valleys getting above the geographical stuff is tricky but I can clear most local trees and such. It's not easy doing this on a college kids budget Lol. I am going to wait till I get the ground plane before installing my antenna, as I don't want to be on the roof twice. Is there anything else I should get before I order? Thanks again.
    Last edited by drafterruss; 04-05-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you don't mind buying a copper rod and some ground wire to ground the antenna mast that will eliminate most of your static and improve antenna performance .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok that sounds doable. What kind/ga wire do I need? Is it a big help?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do I attach the wire to the mounting breacket or the antanne itself where it mounts to the coax?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that is a very good ??? I usally do the very bottom of the mast of the pipe . but I would bet ya having more ground on the coax connector itself might be even greater performance also. that test I have never tried from the house. I have my coax in the mobile grounded and I swear by the performance . It may be a good or bad thing to ground the coax connector off the antenna , cause of lighting . I have had no one really talk about that one or elaborate on that one , lol lol lol .
    Last edited by High Voltage Mobile NJ; 04-06-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol. I will have to experiment and let you know. I suffered yet another setback when eBay sent me broken coax yesterday. Joy now I have to deal with that. Where is a good place onlie where I can get non broken things?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by drafterruss View Post
    Lol. I will have to experiment and let you know. I suffered yet another setback when eBay sent me broken coax yesterday. Joy now I have to deal with that. Where is a good place onlie where I can get non broken things?
    mannnnnnnn im sorry hearing about that . fucking ebay I tell yaaaaaaa. im trying to think would be the best place for you and the cheapest . I have to do some searches . everybody has there way of doing the shield on the PL-259 Connector . I do not ever solder the shield , if you apply to much heat you wind up melting right down to the center conductor . I just solder the center conductor very well. and to make sure the coax does not twist and turn I give it a little tab of black tape or a tab of epoxy at the end of the collar of the pl-259 backside so the connector will not turn in opposite directions if the coax desides to rock back and forth. some people are against not soldering and some are all for it . I have even tried it with a good 40 watter and always caused more damage . anyway its a preference thingggggggggggg . lol lol lol

Visitors found this page by searching for

None