preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What gauge power wire?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

What gauge power wire?

I am gearing up for the install on my new truck. I have the predator antennas, gunny pucks, times microwave lmr400 and silver plated mil spec PL259s. I'm going to be starting out with a 5 pill, and in a year or sometime down the road I want either a 2x12 or a 16 pill. I realize that a substantial battery bank and alternators are necessary but I'm not there yet. I've been looking at 0awg welding cable for my main run to the back of the vehicle. Any thoughts?
    619 the Chef, choppin' lips and deep-frying those ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...

Fletcher Munson Guest Chat with me
    Use 3 Phase, Rectify in back. You will get more bang out of your system. 2 AWG is sufficient for that kind of setup. If you really want to have your rectifiers on the back of your hot alternator and do a long run of DC, use even fatter shit then 0AWG. Just my opinion.

Fletcher Munson Guest Chat with me
    Oh wait. You said you don't have any alts. Never mind.

Yeah just hook it up with 0 AWG, you're gonna be a duck anyways. It will work fine like that. Sorry.... I should pay more attention when I am reading people's postings.

P.S. Batterys are stupid, you don't need a substantial battery bank for any reason, so don't waste your money on that stuff, be smarter then that because it's an old CB myth that battery banks are the way to go.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Fletcher Munson; 04-24-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: added a "P.S."

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, def not going to run a/c. Been looking at replacing the stock alt with a dc power engineering xp alternator. Seems like a smart way to go. And I'll never be a duck. I never have been. It's not about watts. It's about attitude and knowledge. I have plenty of people to turn to with my questions if I don't already have an answer. Thanks for your input. Quack Quack.
    619 the Chef, choppin' lips and deep-frying those ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 619 NJ View Post
    Yeah, def not going to run a/c. Been looking at replacing the stock alt with a dc power engineering xp alternator. Seems like a smart way to go. And I'll never be a duck. I never have been. It's not about watts. It's about attitude and knowledge. I have plenty of people to turn to with my questions if I don't already have an answer. Thanks for your input. Quack Quack.
    That's Nations Alternators . dc power are pricks that don't answer there phones and want a $100 more . get in touch with Adam at Nations and you will be very happy .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to High Voltage Mobile NJ For This Useful Post:

619 NJ (04-25-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher Munson View Post
    Oh wait. You said you don't have any alts. Never mind.

Yeah just hook it up with 0 AWG, you're gonna be a duck anyways. It will work fine like that. Sorry.... I should pay more attention when I am reading people's postings.

P.S. Batterys are stupid, you don't need a substantial battery bank for any reason, so don't waste your money on that stuff, be smarter then that because it's an old CB myth that battery banks are the way to go.

Carry on.
    pack ya bags mudduck . your suck a tool bag !

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks HV

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you choose to run a battery bank you should thing about running 2 or 3 Kinetic batteries 2400 amp minimum, they hold their volts pretty decent, although they are costly, they are worth it if you run a battery bank, or you should think about running a motormaul, at least a 400 amp, this gives you the opportunity to volt up your system to at least 20 volts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 707 Lumpy Delaware For This Useful Post:

High Voltage Mobile NJ (06-08-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When I've got the cash I'm going to spring for and xp 270 amp alt and one kinetic 3800. More than enough to run a 2x12 down the road. Not looking to volt my system. I'd prefer longevity over a few extra watts.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    8 awg is sufficient for a 5 pill as long as the run isnt too long. Looks as though you're setting up a Suburban so the run might be longer than desired, in which case 4awg is the better choice. Either way 4 awg will not be ideal for anything much larger than an 8 pill. So if you have plans of upgrading to 8+ pills in the future, you may want to throw down a pipeline of 0 so you won't have to screw around with rewiring it later on; it also affords the luxury of not needing to upgrade when the Power Bug bites you in the ass...and it WILL bite you, make no mistake about it.

The fine stranded car audio-style wire is the best choice. Dont get roped into the rookie error of buying Walmart 4awg jumper cables and using that for power. Also don't splice any wires if you can avoid it. If you absolutely have no choice and have to, use the proper sized butt connector, strip off the plastic jacket, crimp it all together and SOLDER the connection. But again it's best not to splice if it can be avoided.

Good luck

Visitors found this page by searching for

whats the best wag to run the power wire to a cb in a truck

what gauge wire for cb radio power

whats the gauge of the power wire on a cb radio

what gauge wire for cb radio