preps
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning my Predator 10k

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogdog View Post
    I had this antenna for one trip into town, and when I went to tune it again this morning it was loose. I tightened it down and all it was doing was pulling the insulator out of the so-239 mount I bought. I can only imagine how many times a week I would have to check that. I'm always scrapping tree limbs. Not hard , but I see and hear my antenna doing it. I just don't think this 10k or any other combination of one will work. I'd rather have a long stinger than a solid part hitting the limbs. I thought that was the whole reason they made the Short Whip Dual coil. For clearance issue's.
    your still not reading my post fogdog .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    so what are the swr's now ? did you try different shafts yet ?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have to order a different shaft. I took the 10k off the truck. I read youe posts. Thank you for trying to help. I am listening, but I don't think I want a longer solid antenna. Even putting a 17'' shaft on would increase the soloid portion of the 10 k 8'' over what I have now. The whip will be shorter yes, But the solid section could make contact with a branch. I have a spring on the Firestick ,so when this happens it's no big deal.

The Predator 10k SW I was trying to tune was at it's best lower in overall length. I also wasnn't impressed at all with the POS mount that they recommened. Just the vibration from the truck made it loosen up, and then when I tried to tighten it down it was just pulling itself apart.

I'm no rookie when it comes to mechanical stuff. I made my living turning wrenches for 35 years. I know how to properly mound/install an antenna. Or for that matter anything else. I must have bought the wrong one for this truck. I called Kale himself and he said it should tune at around 5 feet. Thats about where I was at. It just isn't good enough to run a amp with. I wish I could run a longer antenna, but I don't want to take a chance finding it on the road after contact with a tree branch. The mount would have to be waaay better also.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have to order a different shaft. I took the 10k off the truck. I read youe posts. Thank you for trying to help. I am listening, but I don't think I want a longer solid antenna. Even putting a 17'' shaft on would increase the soloid portion of the 10 k 8'' over what I have now. The whip will be shorter yes, But the solid section could make contact with a branch. I have a spring on the Firestick ,so when this happens it's no big deal.

The Predator 10k SW I was trying to tune was at it's best lower in overall length. I also wasnn't impressed at all with the POS mount that they recommened. Just the vibration from the truck made it loosen up, and then when I tried to tighten it down it was just pulling itself apart.

I'm no rookie when it comes to mechanical stuff. I made my living turning wrenches for 35 years. I know how to properly mound/install an antenna. Or for that matter anything else. I must have bought the wrong one for this truck. I called Kale himself and he said it should tune at around 5 feet. Thats about where I was at. It just isn't good enough to run a amp with. I wish I could run a longer antenna, but I don't want to take a chance finding it on the road after contact with a tree branch. The mount would have to be waaay better also.
    with your double coil antenna your tune should be a lot lower than 5 feet with a 17 inch shaft . don't make me take a road trip by you and get ya talking real good . lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to High Voltage Mobile NJ For This Useful Post:

Fogdog (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ha Ha High Voltage Mobile NJ,

Yeah maybe you could come over to the Left Coast and give a Mudduck a hand. I really do appreiciate what you and others have tried to fiqure out. I've got it packaged up right now, but I really want to run the dang thing. When I got it tuned to 1.6-1.7 It was at about 57'' I think. Just under 5 ft.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ha Ha High Voltage Mobile NJ,

Yeah maybe you could come over to the Left Coast and give a Mudduck a hand. I really do appreiciate what you and others have tried to fiqure out. I've got it packaged up right now, but I really want to run the dang thing. When I got it tuned to 1.6-1.7 It was at about 57'' I think. Just under 5 ft.
    hmmmmmmmmmm wowwwwww your on the west coast , dammmmmmm that's far . lol lol lol well you could try a noisemaker egg beater antenna . there about a foot shorter than mr coily's.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm on my second FS-5 from FireStick. I want to try another antenna before I purchase my second FireStik. The more I thought about it the more I told myself... If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They've been really good to me so far, they both tunned to 1.1/1.2 ( 1 thru 40 )
    Silverado 996 back in the woods and I'm gone!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *
    * Ranger 2970N2 * 5' FireStik FS-5 *
    * Uniden BearCat 12 watt spearker *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Try this...If you have the 12" lower shaft, get you one of those barrel springs like they use with 102" whips and stick on it...It's still going to end up about the same over-all height after it's tuned, but you will be getting the coil section higher over the roof line, plus you'll have the advantage of the spring in-case you do plow into a low hanging limb.

On my Toyota Tacoma I have a single coil 10K mounted on a riser which is mounted right behind the rear window in the center of the truck. The riser puts the antenna mount even with the roof line.

I also tried using a 12" shaft but never could get it to tune lower than 1.3 to 1.4 SWR...Changed out to the 17" shaft and now it's tuned on my MFJ at 1.0 to 1.1 on channels 1-36, and 1.1 the rest of the channels to 40...

By adding the spring I'll bet you'll see a better SWR reading...Only thing you'll have to check is how the antenna acts at highway speeds with the spring. I know a single coil 10K on the 12" shaft will work with a spring, but not sure about the dual coil...worth a try tho if a 17" shaft is too long.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

High Voltage Mobile NJ (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One other thing...I would recommend getting a better mount if your having problems with the one you have coming apart...These are what I use, they are solid brass ball mounts made by Hank Breedloves Machine Shop. They have a web site, just Google "Hank Breedloves machine shop".

These things will handle "ANY" antenna, and last you a lifetime.
    Name:  img86.gif
Views: 269
Size:  42.3 KB

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (05-09-2013), High Voltage Mobile NJ (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    jesse james dallas is in the houseeeeeeeeeeeeee . hello to ya .

Visitors found this page by searching for

mail.cbjunkies.com page7

cobra 29 and predator 10k

predator 10k antenna review

mail.nubbyswasteland.com 925-Tuning-my-Predator-10k

tuning predator 10k

predtor 10k easy tune

predator cb antenna canada

predator 10k sw

Tuning predator 10k antenna

predator sw dual coil review

predator 10k whip length

how to tune a predator 10k

predator 10k short whip series

predator 10k installation picturespredator bad 2 the bone tuningPredator 10-k antenna tuningcompetition dual mobile cb antennaspredator cb antennamfj-854 reviewcb antenna tuninghow long is a predator 10k whiphttp:www.cbjunkies.comthreads925-Tuning-my-Predator-10kpredator 10k short whip antennapredator antenna whip lenthpredator 10k antenna length