preps
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning my Predator 10k

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all the help guys. Really! I've cooled down a bit, so tomorrow I will put it back on with a new plan. I got my cable in the mail today,so I will try that. I'm probably going to order a 17'' shaft. the one I have now is 9''. The spring is a good idea.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I put the Predator 10k SW back on this morning. I have a solid mount for it, and ran the new coax. I have it mounted on the center of the rack, and the rack is grounded in 6 spots. 4 to the bed, and 2 to the frame. The best SWR I can achive with just the radio and no amp is 1.6-1.8. The receive seems ok, the Wx station comes in real clear, and all the radio self checks are good. One thing that is new is that I used to get an antenna warning on the radio about 50% of the time. Now I don't get it, but wait. After I put the amp inline I get the antenna warning every time I key up. I did get a local to say I sounded good though.

I'm not sure what the swr is with the amp. How to I test that with my meter? When I turn the amp off,and try to use the radio I get high swr reading on the radio's meter.

If you have the amp inline must you always have the amp on? Jeez a lot of questions I know, but I reckon I'm up against it right now. The amp didn't even get warm, so I don't think my amp is taking a beating or anything.

I have decided to just order a 17'' shaft to replace the 9'' one I have now. Maybe that will help some. I'm sticking with this rig until I get it worked out. Gonna need some help though. So bare with me.

73 The Fogdog is clear and out of here!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also get the antenna warning in my 29LXLE every time I key up with my amp on. All of the locals and DX say that it sound loud an clear. I've swapped amps and it still flashes the warning. Nothing seems to be damaged.
    Silverado 996 back in the woods and I'm gone!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *
    * Ranger 2970N2 * 5' FireStik FS-5 *
    * Uniden BearCat 12 watt spearker *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah thats cool. I think Cobra knows they have a problem there. I'm not so much worried about that annoying warning, but with High SWR'S not sure. Really though the amp seems ok. Maybe I'm just worrying to darn much. Everything always has to be perfect when I do something. I've got a call in to Kale the guy that builds these 10k's, so maybe he will shed some light on the subject for me. Until then I'm gonna shoot some skip Man, and wait for the smoke. :-)>

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck bro I'm sure this will all get ironed out eventually. I know some of the older Galaxy 959s had an issue with the swr warning light being too sensitive, but they issued a fix for it. Not sure about the cobra though. Might not be a bad idea for one of you guys to put a call in.

619 the Chef choppin' lips and deep-frying Mud Ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...
    619 the Chef, choppin' lips and deep-frying those ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogdog View Post
    Yeah thats cool. I think Cobra knows they have a problem there. I'm not so much worried about that annoying warning, but with High SWR'S not sure. Really though the amp seems ok. Maybe I'm just worrying to darn much. Everything always has to be perfect when I do something. I've got a call in to Kale the guy that builds these 10k's, so maybe he will shed some light on the subject for me. Until then I'm gonna shoot some skip Man, and wait for the smoke. :-)>
    Lol! Hammer down buddy! Sorry I have never owned a preadtor antenna, so I can't help with that. I just run FireStik... They tune easy and have low Swr. I'll have my ears open for you on DX.
    * Cobra 29LXLE *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado 996 For This Useful Post:

the caveman (05-17-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Man, yeah Cobra should fix it. I've seen many rants about it on the web. Well I'm gonna go hook the amp back up and see if anythings kickin out there, then I'm off to do the yardwork. Enjoy your weekand , and don't forget Mom.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogdog View Post
    Thanks Man, yeah Cobra should fix it. I've seen many rants about it on the web. Well I'm gonna go hook the amp back up and see if anythings kickin out there, then I'm off to do the yardwork. Enjoy your weekand , and don't forget Mom.
    10-4, you do the same! Have a good one!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *

- Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado 996 View Post
    Lol! Hammer down buddy! Sorry I have never owned a preadtor antenna, so I can't help with that. I just run FireStik... They tune easy and have low Swr. I'll have my ears open for you on DX.
    I've run the Firestick brand since 1987 myself. The newest one I bought is the 3' FS II. It tunes pretty low, and is supposed to handle 650 watts. It works good on the 29. Since I've been getting into Cb a bit more lately, I got to reading about these Predator's and had to give it a try. I sure hope I can get it dialed in soon. It's working, but I know it has a lot more to offer.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Short answer is "No" on the Amp question...NO you don't have to have the Amp turned ON all the time, the radio will work just fine whether the amp is ON or Not.

As for the Cobra's ant. warning light go's, sometimes those lights are set too sensitive and will do that, you can check on CB Tricks.com's Forum section for Cobra radios and find out how to adjust the light...I did know what to adjust, but forgot now and too tired to look it up!

However, before doing any adjustments, I would first wait till I got my SWR set below 1.5, which the antenna should tune around 1.1 to 1.2 with the 17" shaft. (assuming you have good grounds)

By the way...it sounds like your on the right track, by moving the antenna to the middle of the rack and adding some ground straps...I think once you get the 17" shaft you'll see a big improvement.
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 05-10-2013 at 06:21 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

High Voltage Mobile NJ (05-10-2013)

Visitors found this page by searching for

mail.cbjunkies.com page7

cobra 29 and predator 10k

predator 10k antenna review

mail.nubbyswasteland.com 925-Tuning-my-Predator-10k

tuning predator 10k

predtor 10k easy tune

predator cb antenna canada

predator 10k sw

Tuning predator 10k antenna

predator sw dual coil review

predator 10k whip length

how to tune a predator 10k

predator 10k short whip series

predator 10k installation picturespredator bad 2 the bone tuningPredator 10-k antenna tuningcompetition dual mobile cb antennaspredator cb antennamfj-854 reviewcb antenna tuninghow long is a predator 10k whiphttp:www.cbjunkies.comthreads925-Tuning-my-Predator-10kpredator 10k short whip antennapredator antenna whip lenthpredator 10k antenna length