preps
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning my Predator 10k

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Short answer is "No" on the Amp question...NO you don't have to have the Amp turned ON all the time, the radio will work just fine whether the amp is ON or Not.

As for the Cobra's ant. warning light go's, sometimes those lights are set too sensitive and will do that, you can check on CB Tricks.com's Forum section for Cobra radios and find out how to adjust the light...I did know what to adjust, but forgot now and too tired to look it up!

However, before doing any adjustments, I would first wait till I got my SWR set below 1.5, which the antenna should tune around 1.1 to 1.2 with the 17" shaft. (assuming you have good grounds)

By the way...it sounds like your on the right track, by moving the antenna to the middle of the rack and adding some ground straps...I think once you get the 17" shaft you'll see a big improvement.
    10-4 JJD, I'm trying. The 2 extra grond wires I used are pretty small, I will get some heavy duty stuff soon. I'm waiting on Kale to call me and give me the 411 on shaft size. I'll probably get the 17''. Just waiting on him. I did get the antenna mounted good and tight though, so thats cool.

73 The Fogdog is clear and out of here!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fogdog For This Useful Post:

Silverado 996 (05-10-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogdog View Post
    10-4 JJD, I'm trying. The 2 extra grond wires I used are pretty small, I will get some heavy duty stuff soon. I'm waiting on Kale to call me and give me the 411 on shaft size. I'll probably get the 17''. Just waiting on him. I did get the antenna mounted good and tight though, so thats cool.
    Ground straps don't have to be "Heavy Duty" although 1/2" to 1" flat ground braid would be best, I have used old coax ground braid before and it works just fine...Just take some old coax, strip off the outer plastic jacket, then pull out the center conductor wire and it's jacket...That will leave you with just the ground braid...Flatten it out, and "wa-la!" Ground strap!

Just try and keep ground runs as short as possible. Way I usually do it, is once I get my ground braid cut to length, I take my propane torch and heat the ends and stick some solder on...Then using self-tapping screws attach the ground braid to where ever I need it...Just be sure to clean off any paint, dirt, or rust first so you get a good connection.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

Fogdog (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've run the Firestick brand since 1987 myself. The newest one I bought is the 3' FS II. It tunes pretty low, and is supposed to handle 650 watts. It works good on the 29. Since I've been getting into Cb a bit more lately, I got to reading about these Predator's and had to give it a try. I sure hope I can get it dialed in soon. It's working, but I know it has a lot more to offer.
    I've been running the FS-5's rated for 1,000 watts, I figured I wouldn't burn it up since I'm only running a 2 pill. I would run a predator if they had a 30" shaft. No doubt it they are good antenna's.The hobby of CB's to me is like hot rods. You always on the hunt for the prefect setup... Cams, heads and fuel delivery setups. After a while you end up having a pair of heads and a couple of cam shafts collecting dust where in the shop. Haha! Once you get your SwR's down I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.
    Silverado 996 back in the woods and I'm gone!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *
    * Ranger 2970N2 * 5' FireStik FS-5 *
    * Uniden BearCat 12 watt spearker *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado 996 View Post
    I've been running the FS-5's rated for 1,000 watts, I figured I wouldn't burn it up since I'm only running a 2 pill. I would run a predator if they had a 30" shaft. No doubt it they are good antenna's.The hobby of CB's to me is like hot rods. You always on the hunt for the prefect setup... Cams, heads and fuel delivery setups. After a while you end up having a pair of heads and a couple of cam shafts collecting dust where in the shop. Haha! Once you get your SwR's down I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.
    Ha Ha, Yes you right my Brother. If you get into Radio's your gonna end up with a bunch of stuff. My work bench looks like an electronics shop now. I just slid all my truck stuff, and re-loading stuff over to one side. Looks like a mad scientists lab now, what with the meters ,radios,antenna's and parts, wires, a computer,solder gun,tools and whatnot. Jeez!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's what happens!

619 the Chef choppin' lips and deep-frying Mud Ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...
    619 the Chef, choppin' lips and deep-frying those ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Kale from Cowtown Antenna's called me today and is sending me out a longer shaft. He also said that sometimes the sprayed in bed liners like I have can screw up the SWR's. We talked about grounding also. The rack is grounded, but I'm going to find some good flat strap braided stuff from the local Battery place hopefully, and do what JJD says he's done. It can't hurt.

Kale suggested grounds from the rack to the bed, and the bed to the frame. Thats pretty much what I have. Could be better though. Gotta spend some time with Mama this weekend, buut come Monday I'm all over it.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol! I have my on room for reloading stuff, thats another of my hobbies.
    * Cobra 29LXLE *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Kale from Cowtown Antenna's called me today and is sending me out a longer shaft. He also said that sometimes the sprayed in bed liners like I have can screw up the SWR's. We talked about grounding also. The rack is grounded, but I'm going to find some good flat strap braided stuff from the local Battery place hopefully, and do what JJD says he's done. It can't hurt.

Kale suggested grounds from the rack to the bed, and the bed to the frame. Thats pretty much what I have. Could be better though. Gotta spend some time with Mama this weekend, buut come Monday I'm all over it.
    That's awesome I'm glad you are narrowing it down. I think once this annoying mess is out of the way, you'll really like the predator.

619 the Chef choppin' lips and deep-frying Mud Ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...
    619 the Chef, choppin' lips and deep-frying those ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Man that's great! Keep us posted.
    * Cobra 29LXLE *

- Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado 996 View Post
    You can contact Kale and have a 30" shaft custom built...He has made shafts up to 48" for people...He won't warranty them tho because the longer the shaft, the easier it is to whack something which will snap the shaft at the base.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

Silverado 996 (05-11-2013)

Visitors found this page by searching for

mail.cbjunkies.com page7

cobra 29 and predator 10k

predator 10k antenna review

mail.nubbyswasteland.com 925-Tuning-my-Predator-10k

tuning predator 10k

predtor 10k easy tune

predator cb antenna canada

predator 10k sw

Tuning predator 10k antenna

predator sw dual coil review

predator 10k whip length

how to tune a predator 10k

predator 10k short whip series

predator 10k installation picturespredator bad 2 the bone tuningPredator 10-k antenna tuningcompetition dual mobile cb antennaspredator cb antennamfj-854 reviewcb antenna tuninghow long is a predator 10k whiphttp:www.cbjunkies.comthreads925-Tuning-my-Predator-10kpredator 10k short whip antennapredator antenna whip lenthpredator 10k antenna length