preps
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning my Predator 10k

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FogDog them large coil antennas can be a hassle. I got tired of my monkey made and put a fiberglass back on. I agree with 996 on the firestiks. Easy tune by a twist of the tip.
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree also. I never had a problem with the stick. I was hoping this new antenna would blow away the Firestick. So far this is not the case. I've been waiting now for almost two for the longer shaft to arrive. I've grounded and bonded the truck, and it ain't no better. I'm getting pretty tired of this BS. Iknow antenna's for the most part not plug and play, but JEEZ!

73 The Fogdog is clear and out of here!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogdog View Post
    I agree also. I never had a problem with the stick. I was hoping this new antenna would blow away the Firestick. So far this is not the case. I've been waiting now for almost two for the longer shaft to arrive. I've grounded and bonded the truck, and it ain't no better. I'm getting pretty tired of this BS. Iknow antenna's for the most part not plug and play, but JEEZ!
    That sucks your having a hard time tuning the 10k. I cant tell you how long I spent online readying antenna 2 years ago when I was looking to purchase my first antenna in 20 years. The location it was going to be install played a big roll in what / brand I was going run. Since the FireStik was being compared to the old skip shooter antennas, I purchase a the 5' FS-5. I was able to shoot skip running barefoot and was blown away with the antenna, so much so I purchased another one because my dad wanted one after he heard how my FS-5 was thumping the sky barefoot. I installed a 2 pill in my truck and did radio check and hit a station Ontario Canada. At that point I said there's point in using another antenna, and never changed it. My SwR's are 1.3 on 40 / 1.1 on the rest. I have buddies with base stations that don't and can't get them that low.

Keep trying... Don't give up, but when in doubt... FireStik it!
    Last edited by Silverado 996; 05-19-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    Silverado 996 back in the woods and I'm gone!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *
    * Ranger 2970N2 * 5' FireStik FS-5 *
    * Uniden BearCat 12 watt spearker *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know why you guys have such trouble tuning Big Coiled antenna's...Last week I bought a Monkey Made "Big John" antenna to put on my Toyota Tacoma and had it tuned in less than 30 minutes... On this truck I have done very little RF Grounding...About all I did was run a ground strap off the bottom mounting screw of my riser where the antenna is mounted, to the frame and that was it! I have a 2x4 Davemade in the toolbox +1 battery, and just a stock alternator and this set-up works just fine....Seeing around 700w's out of the DM 2x4 and my Galaxy 919...

Check out my tuning results on my MFJ what the Monkey Made "Big John" tuned at...And it is a short 12" shaft open-coiled antenna......

I'm pretty sure "It don't get no better!"

Here it is next to my 55.(The MM Big John is on the left, the 55 on the right)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (05-19-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a few pics of the Monkey Made Big John mounted on my Tacoma...The Big John tuned at 83 1/2 inch's, the 55 tuned at 79"....

The Tacoma...
    Now just need a little "DX" and I'll be a happy camper!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good Jesse! Thats one big ass antenna you have there!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I've never been a big fan of Monkey Made antenna's, mainly because of their weight, and the way the coil's are designed they catch more wind than something like a Predator... And at first I really didn't like these giant coiled type antenna's either, but after a while they just seem to grow on ya!

I liked the 55, which is what i've been running on the Tacoma now for a couple years and it does real good, so no complaints on my end as for as the 55's go...But when I seen a pic of this MM Big John I just had to have it, if for no other reason, I just liked the looks of the thing!

Then once it tuned as good as it did, that was just a bonus!

Heck right out of the box just sticking the stinger in, it had a SWR of 1.5, but I knew it would do better than that, so after whacking off a few inch's of stinger it was tuning perfect on the MFJ, and on my watt meter even with the Amp turned ON, the needle doesn't even move...

Thing looks like you have it hooked up to a dummy load on a meter, but start talking on it and when you hear everyone come back to ya saying your Kicking the cat, sounding loud and proud, then you know it's doing it's deal!

Price was right too...$69.95+ S&H which to Texas was $17 UPS, so it runs about the same price as Predator's, but cheaper than a 55 which was $80, and you have to supply your own stinger...These come with the stinger.
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 05-19-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    I don't know why you guys have such trouble tuning Big Coiled antenna's...Last week I bought a Monkey Made "Big John" antenna to put on my Toyota Tacoma and had it tuned in less than 30 minutes... On this truck I have done very little RF Grounding...About all I did was run a ground strap off the bottom mounting screw of my riser where the antenna is mounted, to the frame and that was it! I have a 2x4 Davemade in the toolbox +1 battery, and just a stock alternator and this set-up works just fine....Seeing around 700w's out of the DM 2x4 and my Galaxy 919...

Check out my tuning results on my MFJ what the Monkey Made "Big John" tuned at...And it is a short 12" shaft open-coiled antenna......

I'm pretty sure "It don't get no better!"

Here it is next to my 55.(The MM Big John is on the left, the 55 on the right)
    Don't know why I'm having trouble either. But it ain't cutting it. I'm not going to run something that doesn't work just because everybody says it's a great antenna. Honestly the POS Firestick that I have blows this thing away. I shouldn't have to spend two weeks of BS to get this thing to tune, when it only takes me two minutes to tune the Fiestick and start making contacts. The firestick runs 1.3.1, the 10k 1.7.1 to 1.8.1, and thats it. I'm not running one more ground strap on my truck. I will give the longer shaft a try, and if that doesn't work, all's I can say is I tried.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Any better luck? Is it still being a pain in the a$$?
    * Cobra 29LXLE *

- Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^^^^ so far. I just got the longer shaft in the mail yesterday, so sometime today if it stops raining all give it a try. I have the old faithfull Firestick on now. Looks I will be putting a Ham radio antenna on the rig soon also. I passed my Ham Tech exam on Saturday. I have a portable radio (habd held) that works on 2 meters, and 70cm. Thats going to be fun also. The portable does all kinds of stuff and around here the 2 meter band is real active. I will be able to talk pretty much anytime I want to with it.

I still hope this 10k tunes up. I do love my 29.

Visitors found this page by searching for

mail.cbjunkies.com page7

cobra 29 and predator 10k

predator 10k antenna review

mail.nubbyswasteland.com 925-Tuning-my-Predator-10k

tuning predator 10k

predtor 10k easy tune

predator cb antenna canada

predator 10k sw

Tuning predator 10k antenna

predator sw dual coil review

predator 10k whip length

how to tune a predator 10k

predator 10k short whip series

predator 10k installation picturespredator bad 2 the bone tuningPredator 10-k antenna tuningcompetition dual mobile cb antennaspredator cb antennamfj-854 reviewcb antenna tuninghow long is a predator 10k whiphttp:www.cbjunkies.comthreads925-Tuning-my-Predator-10kpredator 10k short whip antennapredator antenna whip lenthpredator 10k antenna length