preps
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning my Predator 10k

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tuning my Predator 10k

Having trouble tuning my new Predator 10k SW. I mounted it on the aluminum headache rack of my truck, and can only get the swr down to 1.6.1. The Firestick it replaced was at 1.3.1. I may have cut the whip a few inches to short trying to tune it yesterday. Total length is 57''.

Does the whip when tuned have to be bottomed out in the lower shaft cavity? Right now mine is above the bottom a few inches supported by the set screw. I am waiting for my new coax cable to arrive, and I haven't done any additional grounding of the rack yet. That Firestick made contacts almost every day across the country. I couldn't get out yesterday. I know the conditions haven't been very good on the west coast for a few days.

Any help would be appreciated. Here's some pictures.Name:  predator 10k 002.JPG
Views: 1957
Size:  408.6 KBName:  predator 10k 003.JPG
Views: 1958
Size:  546.6 KBName:  predator 10k 004.JPG
Views: 1948
Size:  389.0 KB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't bottom it out. That will affect your reading. I would add some grounding to the headache rack, and honestly just wait for the coax to arrive bud. You may get a completely different reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    619 the Chef, choppin' lips and deep-frying those ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 619 NJ For This Useful Post:

A365 (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Whew! Ok cool. I was hoping I didn't screw it up. I should have waited to get that quality coax I ordered before the install, but I was excited and wanted to get it done. Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's all good man. I'm sorry that you are having such a bitch of a time with this. Last time I tuned a predator, I put it on the roof, hooked up the MFJ, cut an inch off of it and I was good to go. I'm thinking you may be getting some reflect off of the headache rack. I know that height is a concern for you, but I just think that if you could get the coils up a little higher it would tune easier

619 the Chef, choppin' lips and deep-frying those ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah height is a bit of a concern around here. I have a lot of trees along my drive. Don't want to beat the antenna to much, and knock it out of whack. It might be as good as it's going to get. Still have a couple of things to try yet.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I wouldn't give up just yet

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Before I started cutting on the stinger, I would first get the headache rack good and grounded...and your new coax.

Just wondering...Is there no way to mount the antenna in the center of the rack? Would be better centered.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd have to take it off, and drill it. If that didn't work I'd have to take it off again. It's a bit of a hassle. Of course it can be done. I didn't have to ground the rack for the Firestick, so I'm wondering why this seems to be needed now. I did ground the rack today to the frame of the truck with a set of jumper cables just to see if that would do anything , and it didn't. Not sure if it would have anyway. I want this antenna to work but honestly out of three differant antenna's , this one is at the bottom of the list. I thought I was upgrading, but so far that hasn't been the case.

If truckers use this SW antenna on their mirrors with good results I don't see why it wouldn't work on top of my pickup. I would think there is less reflecting going on , on my vehicle.

This morning I turned on the the little Midland cb with a cheap Lil Wil mag mount antenna on the Grand Am inside the garage and it was pulling in stations that my truck parked outside couldn't. That bummed me out.

I'm still waiting for that coax to arrive, but I don't have a lot of confidence that it's going to make that big of a differance. The signal that I was receiving this morning sounded just like when I had the Lil Wil on my truck, before I put the Firestick on it. The receive judt doesn't sound clear. Kinda muted. I'm not saying the Firestick is better, but it does work better so far.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is def something g wrong here.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    use a 17 inch or a 22 inch shaft . if they don't work use the 27 inch shaft as its last advantage .

Visitors found this page by searching for

mail.cbjunkies.com page7

cobra 29 and predator 10k

predator 10k antenna review

mail.nubbyswasteland.com 925-Tuning-my-Predator-10k

tuning predator 10k

predtor 10k easy tune

predator cb antenna canada

predator 10k sw

Tuning predator 10k antenna

predator sw dual coil review

predator 10k whip length

how to tune a predator 10k

predator 10k short whip series

predator 10k installation picturespredator bad 2 the bone tuningPredator 10-k antenna tuningcompetition dual mobile cb antennaspredator cb antennamfj-854 reviewcb antenna tuninghow long is a predator 10k whiphttp:www.cbjunkies.comthreads925-Tuning-my-Predator-10kpredator 10k short whip antennapredator antenna whip lenthpredator 10k antenna length