preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody used a handheld cb radio with a small linear amplifier as a Mobil rig ?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anybody used a handheld cb radio with a small linear amplifier as a Mobil rig ?

I am using a RadioShack Trc-234 handheld CB radio with an Rm Italy KL 35 linear amplifier As a Mobil I plan to get a RadioShack 102 inch stainless steel whip ... My question is has anybody used a handheld cb with a linear amplifier ???

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My question is "How do you power it?"

Next question would be "Why would you want to?"

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I power it via my cigarette lighter plug in my truck i put a cigarette lighter plug male end on the linear and i bought the cord to go from my lighter plug to my handheld ( keep in mind chevy trucks have 3 lighter plugs )and why would I want to ? Cause handheld puts out 5 watts and the linear is 35 watts I just wanted to be able to cut through all the garbage noise and get heard while I'm driving

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see you having problems with powering the amp with the cig lighter. It's probably going to draw too much amperage and blow fuses, then after you put bigger fuses in there's a good chance the female socket will melt down. Save yourself the hassle and wire the amp to the battery.

Sent from your mom's mobile phone.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beercanman For This Useful Post:

Gordon Gekko (06-10-2013), JesseJamesDallas (06-07-2013), Silverado 996 (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder88 View Post
    I power it via my cigarette lighter plug in my truck i put a cigarette lighter plug male end on the linear and i bought the cord to go from my lighter plug to my handheld ( keep in mind chevy trucks have 3 lighter plugs )and why would I want to ? Cause handheld puts out 5 watts and the linear is 35 watts I just wanted to be able to cut through all the garbage noise and get heard while I'm driving
    Judging by your set-up, I'm under the impression the reason you don't just have a regular mobile CB in your truck is either there's no room to mount one, or you just don't want to drill a bunch of holes in the dash, so you opt. for the handheld...

Cobra and I think Midland make a radio that has everything built into the Mic, and the main part of the radio can be placed under the seat... Check out the Cobra 75 WX ST...You could even hook up a bigger Amp to it...I wouldn't recommend trying to run it off the cigarette lighter plugs tho.

It would be safer driving around and talking with something like the Cobra 75, than trying to talk on a handheld with all the wires running to the antenna and lighter port...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My amplifier is only a 5 amp draw at 12 volts so powering it is not an issue at all and I opted for the handheld cause it has rechargeable batteries in it and if I need to get out of the vehicle for any reason but still need communications I can just throw the rubber Ducky antenna on I leave it plugged into the lighter socket so the batteries stay charged I only use the small Rm Italy kl 35 linear amplifier with the 5 amp draw at 12 volts cause the amp is a small 35 watt amp the size of a pack of cigarettes I only use it for driving on the highway to cut through the noise and get out and be heard I was just curious if anybody has ever used a setup like mine ?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mount a mobile like I did if you have room and use your handheld unit in way it was designed to be used. Sorry don't see a point in using a handheld unit for a mobile radio. Most of the good mobile radios are around $100 - $175 dollars. If or when you get out of your vehicle you can communicate with however is left in the vehicle... Like a base station... Just a thought. Check the amp draw on the liner before running it of the cigaret light like beercanman said... You my light up something other than your amp with it. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  1,002.6 KB
    Silverado 996 back in the woods and I'm gone!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *
    * Ranger 2970N2 * 5' FireStik FS-5 *
    * Uniden BearCat 12 watt spearker *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado 996 For This Useful Post:

Beercanman (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The amplifier is a 5 amp draw!! And I use a handheld cause I don't have room and I don't want to drill holes and I've had the handheld for a while now it was given to me for Christmas 3 years ago so I figured why spend all the money for a cb like the midland handheld when I've already got one for free I payed only 30 bucks for the little amplifier on www.amazon.com it's an RM Italy kl 35 25-35 watt linear amplifier it is the size of a pack of cigarettes so I figured use it with the handheld it's a very small amplifier just enough to get out loud and clear and I do switch vehicles a lot so it's easy to just have the handheld the small linear amp and a mag mount antenna so it all makes sense for me to have the setup I have !!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All I can say to that is try it and see what happens, maybe you'll start a new trend or something. Just make sure to get you SwR's tunned low as possible. What does you handheld dead key?? I never thought I would ever ask that question...Dont run more than 5 watts into your KL35...They are a low drive amp, and you'll let the genie out.

Have fun!

Keep us posted and post pictures...
    Silverado 996 back in the woods and I'm gone!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *
    * Ranger 2970N2 * 5' FireStik FS-5 *
    * Uniden BearCat 12 watt spearker *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado 996 For This Useful Post:

619 NJ (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My galaxy 919 does more than 35 watts peak. I'll tell you right now bud, 35 watts isn't going to punch your signal through traffic. Most guys are running radios alone that put out more than that amp. Let alone what boxes they've got. You need at least a two pill to be heard. Ad this is coming from someone who doesn't currently have an amp.
    619 the Chef, choppin' lips and deep-frying those ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads964-Has-anybody-used-a-handheld-cb-radio-with-a-small-linear-amplifier-as-a-Mobil-rig

cb linear amplificateur

radio shack trc 234 reviewportable cb amplifiersrm italy kl 35 reviewrm Italy kl 35 linearbest 12 volt cb linear amplifierhandheld cb with ampcb magnet mount with linearlinear with cobra handheldcan. you connect the rm kl 35 to a cigarette lighter adapterhttp:www.cbjunkies.comthreads964-Has-anybody-used-a-handheld-cb-radio-with-a-small-linear-amplifier-as-a-Mobil-rig#post_7913cobra handheld cb amplifierdo cb linear amps and stereo amps work anything alikeare stereo amps and cb linear amps anything alikerm kl 40 linear amplifier reviewrm italy kl 35 forumcb linear amplifierKl 35 cb ampCb amp kl 35cobra 75 wx st linear amplifiercan amp be hooked up to handheld cb radioamp for handheld cbradio shack trc 234 peakkl 40 linear amplifier