Howdy folks. I want to build my own base antenna just to do it. I don't expect any miracles, in fact failure on the first few tries. That said this is what I'm thinking: copper pipe in progressive sizes so they slide into each other for adjustment purposes with 4 ground radials of 3/8 copper pipe at 1/4 wave length set at 45-60 degrees. I'm currently undecided as to how to construct the gamma match. I also thought I would clear coat the whole thing to resist corrosion. Is the clear coat a bad idea? Is the whole project a bad idea? Was planning on 5/8 wave length since Ive benn informed that a full wave would have too steep of a radiation patern to be effective for practicle communication use. I am planning on using a choke at the feed point. Is this just dumb or is it semi-solid planning. There is nothing wrong with my Mako v5/8 I just want to make my own. Any help, advice and or tutoring will be greatly appreciated. Like I said I don't expect spectacular results or to reinvent the wheel just well just that I want to build my own junk. Thanks again 73s