preps
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Heathkit SB-200 not modded or altered. Wanting to use on 11-meter

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't get so caught on on the watt meter. As long as the amp appears to be putting out good numbers, leave it be. Don't try to squeeze every last watt out of it and it will last!! And have fun with it!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Crusher (09-22-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks 222

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep us posted as to how things work out with the setup Matt. Curious to see if any of the help worked. And don't forget to keep that driver amp (the KL300) at a modest drive level. Don't want to mess up either of the amps. And also make sure you have a good. VSWR reading before you even add any of the amps in line! Below 1.3:1 at max. That is JMO, but the higher the VSWR the more heat and reflected power is being sent back to the radio. This can skew readings and show more output than truly is. Also might want to think about adding at least one low pass filter after the radio and possibly one after your SB-200 as well. This will keep the signal clean and your neighbors happy. RF Limited makes a pretty good one for the the money. The DF3000. Prices run from $40-$50 shipped. Here are pics of one and the power ratings. Not sure I trust the power ratings, but they are built well inside actually.
    The pics are more for show of the product then the price. Check out Copper Electronics for pricing as well as EBay. You can find them for about $40 or so shipped to you. I have one I don't use anymore as I don't run any amps and use ferrite choke at my antenna feedpoint. No RFI/TVI issue here. And I've asked all my neighbors LOL! At any rate, with the place you live, consider the cost and amount of power needed to run the amp and take this into consideration as well. You don't want to starve the amp for power. That is just as bad as over driving it. You may just be better off using the one amp, the KL300 I think you said you have? The CB/ 11 meter band is pretty dead at the moment and it doesn't matter if you have 10k watts, if there aren't any conditions you are pissing in the wind. That is why I said to get the best antenna as you can and start from there. A Sirio vector 4000 is one heck of a vertical antenna as well as some of the other more expensive 5/8th wave antennas. Even the Sirio 2016, 827, and the Sirio tornado work pretty well. The only thing I don't like about the tornado is that it's not a true DC grounded antenna. But that can be fixed with a little modding. And for the money, they are a very simple antenna to place up and don't require a heavy tower or mast to do so. They only weigh about 6.4lbs. And the length of the antenna is 23.7ft per Sirio. Now if they only made it a true DC grounded antenna, it would be a better antenna. That is not to say that they don't work well as I know quite a few gents that run one and have had no issues with them. Another issue is power. You want to run that amp, don't use an A99 or similar as you will end up having issues!! Been there and done that!! Anyhow. Again. Many things to think about and ponder on. I will say it again, your antenna system is what is going to make or break your entire setup, so it may be wise to leave that SB200 as is and sell it to a Ham radio operator. And use that money to setup a good antenna, coax, surge arrester, some way of getting the coax into your radio room, in which case they make window hatch plated with pass through bill head connections. Some even have surge arresters built in. Just need to ground the plate and surge arresters properly. Good luck and maybe I'll hear you on the air one day.
    222 Daytona Beach, FL,
    saying 73 and God Bless!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok. I have my little mobile linear on a lawnmower battery hooked up to a trickle charger and it's putting about 60 watts into the Heathkit. I fabricated a foot pedal to key the amp up. Right now it is producing a good clean 575 watts. I'm happy with that!!!

Happy DXing

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsowders1989 For This Useful Post:

Crusher (09-26-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Get yourself a power supply and be done with it Matt. It's much safer and will take up much less space. For about 50-60 dollars and shipping of about 7-10 dollars you can get a pretty good power supply. Again, I recommend the MegaWatt supplies. They are well made and carry a 2 year warranty as well. For the money it's hard to beat 30+ amps of power that is adjustable from 9-15vdc. JMHO's. Be careful if you have those batteries in the house. Not a good place for them!! Especially with the added charger. That is JMO. Have fun with your stuff, but do it safely and the right way. Again, JMHO's.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I plan on getting a power supply. I just had the battery lying around and used it until I can get a higher amperage PSU

Happy DXing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsowders1989 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (09-27-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gotcha. Just be careful. It's dangerous having one in the house if that is indeed where it's at. The fumes are explosive and all it takes is a small spark to make a big boom!! Have fun but be safe as well!!! Power supplies can be gotten for cheap. If you don't mind me asking, what amp are you using to drive the SB200 with? The one you mentioned earlier?? The KL300? Or something different? Just curious. Again, have fun, and enjoy!! Good day.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The battery is outside. I am using the kl-300. I turned my radio down to 1 watt, and it's putting out about 60-65 watts. Heathkit putting out around 575 and sounding clean.

Happy DXing

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsowders1989 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (09-27-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good deal. Glad you got it working and all is well. Sounds like you have it dialed in just right!! Keep it clean and mean and ne safe. And enjoy. Have a greet evening and hope to hear you one day on air.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

mark_Hughey (11-08-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know if you have any neighbors. If you do, might not be a bad idea to get at least one if not 2 Low Pass Filters. I posted one earlier in the thread. This will help keep your signal clean. Use one after the radio and one after the amp to the antenna. They do work. You don't want to make the neighbors mad as usually that is when you have issues!! What you may think is clean may be killing their computer speakers and tv or other their house. Causing havoc isn't the way you want to go that is for sure. And without an oscilloscope it's hard to tell whether your signal is truly clean or not. Bencher, Drake, RF Limited, and some others make pretty good Low Pass Filters. Read up on them and how they work and what they do. You'll understand more why I say to get at least one. And I am in no way saying you are running a dirty station, it's just a CYA thing. If you are good friends with your neighbors you could ask them if they have had any issues lately with any of their electronics in the house acting funny or possibly hearing you coming through their computer speakers and such. Like I said it's to cover your butt more than anything as you don't want the MAN visiting you!!! All it takes is a phone call. Just some food for thought. And again, glad you got it all working. Now work on getting a good antenna setup. Not to say that the antenna you made doesn't work, and work well, just make sure that that the entire system is good. Proper grounding, good coax, a good surge arrester, and so forth. It all makes a difference. Some may disagree, but I am the type to go with overkill to make sure things don't give me issues down the road!! Again, just food for thought. Have a great day!!

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1776-Heathkit-SB-200-not-modded-or-altered-Wanting-to-use-on-11-meter

sb-200 cb radio