preps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilson 5000's

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wilson 5000's

Has any body ever noticed how narrow banded wilson 5000 antenna's are ? It is so narrow banded that when I set the swr's to flat on the bowl, they ended up being 1.4 on channel. When I used to run the wilson 1000 I was able tune it flat from channel 1-40. Why is that, is it because the 5000 has different impedence or is it just an engineering flaw they had. I spoke to alot of guys running the 5000 and they noticed the same problem with them being narrow banded.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    most of the wilson antenna's out there you have to cut off 1/4 to 1 inch off of the bottom of the whip to get a flat match on some aplications not all . for starters make sure you run the 18 feet of coax recomended. you might have to place the antenna on different areas on ya roof . not every car or truck has a great match . i never had a problem with the wilson being narrow banded , that is not true at all . i can get a 1.0 on like 60 plus channels before it starts climbing up . if anything that antenna is very broadbanded the totall opposite. make sure all ya connections are good . watch out for that crazy non conducting tape they have on now at the bottom of the magnet mounts . they need to be ripped off to get a good ground . thats the only problem i had with them .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    when running just the radio i get a flat match across all 40 .but with the amp on i can only get about a 25 channel spead of acceptable swr .i tune for ch28 as thats where i shoot skip when i get the chance .with a 500 watt deadkey i get a 1.1-1.2 swr on that channel .
    by the time i get to ch1 i wont even use the amp down that low .its a trade off .i cant get the whole 40 spread low enough to run my 500 watt deadkey .
    by the time i get to ch1 with the amp on my swr is about a 1.7 and i wont run it like that .

sometimes its all in the amp tuning too.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    try using an 18 foot jumper from the radio to the box stay away from 9 footers . 12 is ok 18 is better . if you have a driver box before the bigger box, a 6 foot or a 9 foot jumper is fine between the boxs. sometimes these class ab-1 linears dont have the best tuning along with some of these so called class c amplifier builders now a days , lol lol lol lol

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My wilson 5k is narow banded.... HIGH VOLTAGE.. is that a mag mnt 5k? I have tuned 4 antenna's on my fag mag and only one that tunes like crap is the Wilson 5k.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    someone dont know
    by BOOTYMONSTER » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:07 pm
    how about an option to delete a thread we make ?
    ill admit im at least a part time idiot . sometimes i do double post when editing a post .
    some may find this hard to believe , but ....... sometimes i even get pissed and make a post i regret later . hard to believe huh?? lol

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont know shit!..Thank you

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    mines a mag mount

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    where can I buy a 55 antenna

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    this is the first time im hearing that a wilson antenna will not tune properly. weird !!!!!

Visitors found this page by searching for

None