preps

Thread: Some great information about coax lengths and swr

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if the antenna is not resonate absolutely no length of coax is going to change that .
    tune the antenna ...... not the coax .

there is some loss associated with high vswr , but it would have to be high to reduce a signal by 18db .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    if the antenna is not resonate absolutely no length of coax is going to change that .

there is some loss associated with high vswr , but it would have to be high to reduce a signal by 18db .
    ok , but explain how you might do / pull that off with a 102 -108 ss whip? which is set usually @ 36 ohm

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post

well over the last weekend , i had been having issues with a 102 whip and swr readings !
    and my truck .
    when the usual antenna is mounted on cab roof adjusting swr isnt a major deal as running a half wave on the coax tunned fairly well
    but when running a 102 behind cab on bed rail and running coax in multiples , swr is way out of spec.
    pulled my hair out , but he goes; 102 ss whip 36 ohm reading taken at base of antenna @ pl-259 with a mfj259b analyzer
    now i resonated my coax (rg-8x ) vf ".78 to 27.200 giving me a coax length of 28 ft 2.250 in. for a full wave in length netting me a true 1.3;1 swr
    not tuning antenna by trimming stinger , but more by tuning the coax to the setup
    final measurements on the analyzer freq. 27.200 , swr-1.3, R=40, X=6 .( R &X readings @given freqency ) which equals a 1.1 swr even though the swr bridge reads a swr of 1.3

so in laymens terms yes adjusting length of coax can change the caricaturization of a antenna system in a mobile installation in regards to a 102 whip,

now with a base type of installation , and antennas having adjust-ability though gamma , beta matches , tuning rings etc and the ability to obtain a proper rf ground plane , things are some what different with regards to antenna height ground soil composition (salinity) capacitive reactance and magnetic inductance and a myriad of other variables along with coaxial length and vf's

Visitors found this page by searching for

coax length calculator