Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm messing up big time...LOL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoma View Post
    Me I would not do the D4 mod or the PLL mod. it tells you you may want to put a switch in that location. that is because it brings in so much more noise. its you radio so do what ever you like. just stating I would not like the last 2 mods.
    Oh, you know more about this than I do. I trust your judgment. They'll be no D4 or PLL mods in my radio...lol
    I was already thinking about not doing the PLL mod anyway. I didn't want to fool with a switch and it just being for louder static. So thanks for your assessment.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want to hear static louder...just buy a pre-amp and put in line...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (06-14-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    If you want to hear static louder...just buy a pre-amp and put in line...
    If I wanted to hear it louder I could just turn up the radio... No, really I don't want to hear it louder Jesse. That's why I didn't put in the preamp mod. I just put in the Diodes. I was trying to get white noise level down. But it only helped a bit.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    what did you replace the stock transistors with to get 35 watts out of the 29 ? what meter are you using to see those numbers ?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    what did you replace the stock transistors with to get 35 watts out of the 29 ? what meter are you using to see those numbers ?
    An IRF520 mosfet with the slug removed. And it was a bird meter. I took it to a guy that has a shop and had him put it on his meter. Why?
    Last edited by T-I-N-Y34; 06-28-2018 at 05:26 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Even a bird meter can't tell the difference between watts transmitted on 27 MHZ and 54 MHZ. A IRF520 tops out at about 25 watts, anything else is harmonics.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to white knite For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by white knite View Post
    Even a bird meter can't tell the difference between watts transmitted on 27 MHZ and 54 MHZ. A IRF520 tops out at about 25 watts, anything else is harmonics.
    I wonder why just about every tech out there uses bird meters then? Doesn't seem like they would use them if they're not working right. I mean even the best of them say that what it reads is peak power. BUT.. I don't care... All I know is I'm getting out better than before. And further than before. So if it's only making 25w or 15w that's fine with me. As long as I see what I did helps the radio be better then what it was while still sounding good.
    Last edited by T-I-N-Y34; 07-03-2018 at 03:59 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Over 5 months later and still going strong. I've done nothing else to my radio. And it still sounds as good as it did the first time I tried it after the mods. I still get compliments on the sound of it from time to time. I can still get out 6-9 miles on a clear day and 5-6 on a crappy one. I learned a little while doing these upgrades. But nothing compared to the techs out there. I still think you guys are wizards. I'm still wondering about adding a small amp to it but not completely sold on the idea.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You would be better off putting that radio back stock, with maybe just a 2w dk swinging 10w, then stick a little 2 pill amp inline....

I just bought a President McKinley for my Tacoma, and all I did was open the top, and adjust the Modulation to 100%+, and now with a 1x2 inline i'm seeing 400w's!

Right out of the box, radio was set at 3'w swinging maybe 6w's, but once I adjusted the modulation pot, I'm getting close to a 10w swing, which is more than enough to swing the crap out of a 1x2 without any distortion.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

T-I-N-Y34 (11-18-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    You would be better off putting that radio back stock, with maybe just a 2w dk swinging 10w, then stick a little 2 pill amp inline....

I just bought a President McKinley for my Tacoma, and all I did was open the top, and adjust the Modulation to 100%+, and now with a 1x2 inline i'm seeing 400w's!

Right out of the box, radio was set at 3'w swinging maybe 6w's, but once I adjusted the modulation pot, I'm getting close to a 10w swing, which is more than enough to swing the crap out of a 1x2 without any distortion.
    See that's just it. I built it this way because that's what I wanted to do. I wanted to build a radio that didn't need an amp to talk locally. And that's what I did. I'm not looking to make big power with it. This radio talks crystal clear and gets out better than any of the trucks running up and down the road. SO.. I would be better off leaving it alone and let it be and quit messing with it...lol

BTW nice radio. I was looking at those when I got my 980.
    Last edited by T-I-N-Y34; 07-03-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None